--2--

Three months later, Sam had become comfortable at Evalyn Prep. Having made a number of close friends, aced her academic classes, and completed her training program with ease, she had even adjusted to the unusual nature of her ability and to Evalyn’s separation from the outside world.

Though each student at Evalyn Prep was entitled to keep her ability private, secrecy was unusual and Sam had found herself become somewhat of a campus celebrity. Though Sam found her friends’ super strength, faultless memory and persuasive powers to be far more impressive gifts, hers was the most envied and awe inspiring amongst students.

From the moment Mr Green Eyes collapsed in the testing room from overwhelming passion, it was apparent that Sam, despite her inexperience, was a phenomenal kisser.

So skilled in fact, that, with a kiss, she could have any person, male or female, utterly obedient to her wishes, remaining at her mercy until she wished it otherwise.

Her victims were usually strangers, since her practice and training took place in the rather unusual arena of open parties where she could practice without repercussions and in anonymity, under the supervision of a discrete instructor.

Unfortunately, she never enjoyed kissing so much as her partners. Now an expert in the fine art of tonsil hockey, she was beginning to realise that her whole life would be spent kissing those of far inferior technique. Besides, how would she ever manage to get a boyfriend if anyone she kissed turned into a desperate, obsequious mess?

It was this she puzzled as she walked towards the assembly hall for the Professor’s big announcement.

‘Ladies. Your progress over the past few months has been exceptional. Your teachers and I have been thoroughly impressed by both the extent of your abilities and your mature handling. However, your biggest challenge now lies ahead. ‘

The hall was silent.

‘We have not been completely honest with you, as to the nature of your talents. Though your abilities far exceed anything seen by normal human beings, they are only an inkling of your true potential, potential you may only achieve upon partnership.

I can now reveal that Evalyn Prep has a brother school. At Adim Prep, young men too have been developing their abilities. The number of students at Adim is an exact match to that of Evalyn for, from the moments of your birth, you were part of a gifted pair.

When together, your gifts can be truly revealed. Though you and your partner will likely not match in ability, your talents will perfectly complement and balance that of your partner. It is time to be reunited.’

The room erupted in shouted questions and fevered conversations between excited and puzzled students.

‘We cannot introduce you to him. You will know each other when you meet. ‘

Sam grimaced.

……………..

Following their move to their new co-ed campus, Sam’s school life had drastically changed. The vast majority of students now travelled in loved-up pairs. She hadn’t seen her friends for weeks, ever since they had bumped into their ‘soul mates’ in the school corridors in the first few days. Every now and then, she would see two strangers lock eyes across the room and walked towards each other with dreamy expressions upon their faces and then never part again, but this was occurring less and less. She was now one of the few single students on campus. Far from discouraging it, the school appeared to have expected the rapid pairing off and subsequent passionate affairs, even allowing couples to share rooms.

Sam though it was all a little dramatic and more than a little disgusting.

She dreaded meeting ‘the one’, avoiding the school events organised to reunite the last few stragglers who had yet to bump into their other half.

Instead, she went to the library.

A location used almost exclusively by couples to make out under to guise of studying, it was guaranteed that Sam would be left alone by the desperate guys roaming the campus looking for singles.

Walking from the check-out desk, she pushed her hair out of her face as she turned to corner, yet the obstruction to her vision was removed too late to prevent her walking straight into a hard, male chest.

‘Oh!’

She looked up. And couldn’t look away.

In front of her stood a modern day Adonis. Easily more than six feet high, with light sandy brown hair, just long enough for Sam to tell it was wavy, tanned skin and, above cheekbones a supermodel would die for, bright, heavily lashed, sea blue eyes, Sam was unsure whether her sudden attraction was due to him being the ‘one’ or just the response any female would have upon meeting such a fine specimen of manhood.

His body was equally impressive. Tearing her eyes from his face, she could see the outline of his muscles even beneath his grey T-shirt, which had rode up enough to show the tanned, flat skin of his hips. Though lean, Adonis was clearly the athletic type, with the triangular torso of a competitive swimmer.

Looking at his lips, she wondered if he was a good kisser. He must be.

 His lips were moving. Was he talking?

‘Oh! Sorry! What did you say?’

She hated how high-pitched and unnatural her voice sounded. His was deep and amused.

Maybe he was the one. She was terrified. What if he didn’t like her? Or worse, what if he wasn’t her other half and someone else’s stunningly attractive male model?

He raised an eyebrow. It was the hottest thing she had ever seen.

Then he smirked. It was the hottest thing she had ever seen.

He leaned forward, his closeness making her weak at the knees.

Speaking in the slow, exaggerated tone reserved for speaking to imbeciles and the deaf, he said,

‘I said you dropped your books.’

Oh. He was acting normally. Obviously, he had not been as love-struck by her as she by him. Oh well. She could still admire his shoulder muscles moving beneath his T-shirt as he bent and picked up her books.

‘Oh! Thanks. You don’t have to do that. I’ll get them.’

‘Are you sure? You appear to be incapacitated. Don’t worry. I usually have that effect on people.’

‘What? No!’

‘I mean, you were obviously too busy admiring my toned physique to think about anything else.’

Sam started. He was a mind reader.

He smirked up at her from where he knelt on the floor. For a moment, she couldn’t help but pretend he was about to propose.

She bet if she could kiss him she could make him.

Chastising herself for her fantasising, she tried to think of witty retort to wipe away the smirk that was rapidly going from hot to annoying.

‘Pfft. You wish. I was actually waiting for you to apologise for barrelling into me before.’

He raised an eyebrow once more. She just glared.

‘I wish, huh? Looks like you do.’

‘I-‘

Passing her the books, he stood and she jolted as his fingers brushed hers.  Holding the books just a little too long, he leant in close to her ear.

‘Anyway, that was clearly your fault.’

He then left, without even so much as a glance over his shoulder.

It was confirmed. He was not only irritating but clearly not interested in her. She hoped he had a twin brother who would be more compatible with her, because he, or at least, a part of him looked amazing in those jeans.

He turned around and smirked.

Damn mind reader.