Chapter Eleven : Remain Unspoken

Start from the beginning

"That I do," he admits. "If I recite you a poem, you have to sing me a song."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because. I heard you singing in the car that one time and I think you have a pretty voice, even though it was really quiet."

"Oh," I say a little bashfully. I don't often sing in front of people besides family. "I will, then."

"Here's a really nice poem...," Dylan began.

"She was pretty.

Scratch that.

She was beautiful.

Scratch that too.

She was more beautiful,

Than a sunrise on a winter morning.

Or a rainfall on an autumn day

Where the leaves dance in the wind

And fill the sky with life.

More beautiful than a flower

That breaks through the cracks

Of a concrete garden

And brings color to the air.

She was more beautiful,

Than any poem that's ever been written.

She was beautiful.

Scratch that.

She still is."

As I listen to him speak, it is amazing... how he enunciated certain words at seemingly the perfect moments, pausing for the perfect amount of time, saying some words more quietly and delicately than others, which were said with more power and force.

The immaculate combination of the words he spoke with the way he said them, made me fall for him even more, and I wanted to listen to him say the poem over and over again.

"That's... a really lovely poem," I tell him.

"I've always liked it," he says. "But now I can actually relate to it."

I smile to myself and I want nothing more than to give him a big hug and kiss right after the words leave his mouth, but I contain myself. Instead, I think of a song to sing part of until I decide upon a very particular song that I want to sing to him, for him. It was meant to be, in a way (as I saw it, anyway), my response to his poem. Without any prompt from him, I begin to sing.

"When I fall in love

It will be forever

Or I'll never fall in love

In a restless world, like this is

Love is ended before its begun

And too many moonlight kisses

Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

When I give my heart

It will be completely

Or I'll never give my heart

Oh let me give my heart

And the moment I can feel that

You feel that way too."

A silence ensues for a minute after I finish singing, and for a second I think that maybe he has fallen asleep. But then he speaks.

"Anita," he says in such a soft voice. "I really like you."

"I really like you too."

~