Chapter 39

Grace

"You're really leaving then?"

Ryan pulls away from me. "We have to get back home. I have to get back to work. Don't worry we're coming back for your graduation."

"That's a long time from now."

He smiles. "It'll be here before you know it."

My eyes start to water. "I need my brother. My friends are all mad at me." I wipe my eyes. "And besides Shane hates me. He hates me."

"Grace this is exactly why you don't need me. I'll be here for you even if I'm not here, here. But you don't need me to get out of this. You're growing up. Fight for what you want. It's now or never."

"Ready to go honey?" Pepper asks

Ryan nods.

"Bye Grace!" Pepper pecks a quick kiss on my cheek. "We'll see you soon."

"Goodbye Pepper" I reply

"The cars all set" my dad walks behind Ryan and claps him on the back. My mother is beside him with the baby.

"Safe travels." I say

My parents quickly say goodbye to Ryan and Pepper. I crowd the baby with kisses before Pepper settles him in the car seat.

I stand with my parents as Ryan backs out of the driveway. We wave to each other andthen they're gone.

"Looks like it's just us." My dad says "who's hungry?"

~|~

I don't go to school. Not today. I did go all last week even after what happened. People mostly avoided me although some smiled to me I guess to encourage me to keep going and others just talked behind my back.

Sarah isn't talking to me either. She thinks I made a mistake. She's right I did. I regret breaking up with Shane. I love him, but what Shane and I did to Camille is unforgivable. I would hate me too if I was Camille. After the whole incident, I walked home. I haven't seen Shane since. It's not because I don't want to see him but it's because he doesn't want to see me.

I have called and texted him many times. I've already lost count. Somehow during school he has managed to avoid me. He doesn't want to talk to me or even see me. I broke his heart.

And now I'm lying on my bed because it seems like the only other person who I can trust or can actually tolerate me right now has left.

"Grace?" My mother taps the door.

I roll off the bed and walk to the door. She has a purse and cellphone in hand.

"Hey sweetheart, your dad and I are going out to dinner. Do you want to come?"

I shake my head. "No. Sorry mom I'd rather stay home I'm not feeling the greatest."

She touches my forehead. "We can stay home-"

I grab her hand and hold it in mine. "No mom. Go. You and dad deserve to have a night out. I'll be fine."