Chapter 14

Grace

I watch Shane from the bleachers. He's totally focused on his coach giving him advice. His helmet is in his hand and his cheeks are red and his hair is sweaty and slightly messy. But my god he looks good.

I catch Camille looking at him as well. She's with Beth, the girl that Sarah caught Dylan making out with. They're whispering and giggling to each other.

I look back at Shane only to catch him staring at me. As soon as our gaze connects I feel this warm feeling rise inside me. But as soon as he waves it's gone. I shake the feeling off and wave back. He points to the locker rooms. I nod. He wants me to meet him by the locker rooms so I gather my things and make my way down.

When I get down there I only wait five minutes and then he comes out with his bag and football gear in hand.

"Gracie" he breathes "you have no idea how hungry I am. Let's go out to eat." He grabs my hand. "Come on."

I laugh. "Shane wait! I don't have any money with me-"

He stops and grabs ahold of me as I bump into him. "I'll pay for you" he looks directly into my eyes. "It'll be like a date"

I freeze. "A date?" I whisper

His blue eyes hold a touch of amusement. "Only if you want it to be."

I stare at him. He's joking right? I can feel the heat from his hand on my waist and it's making me nervous and jittery.

He frowns "Relax" he drops his hand, instead wrapping it around the back of his neck. "I was just kidding" he looks at me for a second, hurt in his eyes, then walks away.

I catch up to him. He doesn't say anything as we get in the car. Did I make him angry? I hope I didn't. I mean I would like it to be a date but as he said he was only kidding. I don't understand why all of a sudden he got so quiet.

Without thinking I grab his hand. He whips his head toward me, his eyes widening. "Hey do you wanna get some slushes after?" I suggest "Remember when we were kids and you and I had slushes everyday for the summer, because you were obsessed with-"

"-Blueberry flavored everything. And slushes were my favorite" he finishes for me. He stares at my hand in his. I let go, suddenly embarrassed.

He looks into my eyes. "Okay," he smiles "yeah I'd like that."

I nod, smiling a little as I turn to look out the window. I wish I could tell him how I feel, but I'm a coward. I'm scared which is normal but yet I wish I could shout it to the world. If I confess to him how I feel and he rejects me our friendship will never be the same. It would probably break and all I would have would be memories. Memories that I would want to shatter and try to rip away from myself.on the other hand there's a chance. A chance that we make more memories that I get to cherish. A chance that maybe he also loves me.

We end up going to a diner downtown. Shane and I get seated at a booth. We order our usual. Burger with fries.

"Gracie I've been wondering you never told me the color of the dress you chose?"

I grin. "It's tan, but it's covered with white flowers. So do you want to go with a white or tan tie?"

"Mmmmh." He rubs his jaw. "Let's go with white?" He scrunches his eyebrows. "You think that's a good pick?"

"It's perfect."

He grins his dimple showing. I feel nervousness poking me in the pit of my stomach. The dance. Slow dancing. Will I even have the strength to do that? Like I said before this is our first dance going together. He would always have dates. They would never let me dance with him, besides I always left the dance early. This year it'll be different.

My phone vibrates in my pocket.  I have a message from Camille. She wants Sarah and I to show up at her house right after school tomorrow. I quickly type back that we'll be there. I sigh and stick my phone back in my pocket.

"Is something wrong?" Shane asks

"Oh no, um, I'm actually helping Camille with her brothers party and she just texted me when she wanted Sarah and I to show up."

His face brightens. "Really? Grace that's great!"

I bite my lip. "Yeah" I can't help but think that he's happy because I'm helping the girl he likes. All I want is for him to be happy and if I get hurt in the process well that's my own fault.
After we finish our food we head to the gas station and get slushes. We both get blueberry. We lean against his car and look at the stars. I slurp on mine until it's all gone.

"Gracie"

I turn my head to look at him. He has this look of pure intensity on his face.

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad you're part of my life" he moves closer almost touching me. "I'm glad. . ." He hesitates, choosing his words carefully. "I'm glad you're my best friend."

I look into his blue eyes. The eyes that drive me crazy and I'm so glad he can't read my mind. I'm glad he can't see that I don't only see him as my best friend but as a lover.

"Yeah?" I say "me too."

Then it's silent. Us just staring at each other. But in the distant very faintly you can hear my heart crack just a little.