Chapter 36

Grace

David stands in front of me, his golden brown eyes staring into mine. He clears his throat. "Sorry I showed up unannounced. I just really needed to talk to you."

"What do you need to talk about?"

"Can we sit down?" He suggests

I nod as nervous jitters shake my body. He knows. He knows what happened. He takes my hand in his as we sit down on the sofa.

He watches me for a second then he speaks. "I know what happened. Camille told me everything."

I open my mouth ready to explain, but he cuts me off.

"You don't need to explain anything to me Grace. I knew you liked Shane everybody knew." He chuckles softly. "I'm not mad or upset. Really. I just came to say goodbye. I'm leaving for California, some of my high school friends are out there, I think I wanna visit."

I stare at him. I was not expecting this at all. I thought he would lash out on me, or at least be a little angry.

"But why?" I ask

He smiles. "I came back to see my family and I already have. I met you and I'm glad. But to be honest, I just feel like I'm stuck in high school drama all over again. What happened between you and Shane is between you and Shane. I'm not gonna get in the way. Besides I want to visit the beach."

I giggle as tears appear in my eyes. I hug him. "Promise me you'll still be my friend. You're too special for me to let go."

He wraps his arms around my waist. "You're special to me too. You're a great friend. I'll keep in touch, I promise."

We let go of each other at the same time. He wipes a tear from the corner of my eye. "You're a great ex girlfriend" he teases

I laugh and slap his arm. "You're too nice. I also don't understand how you're not mad. I cheated David and Shane cheated on your sister with me. If I were you I wouldn't forgive me."

He smiles as he stands . "We all make mistakes Grace and we only dated for one day. Anyway the whole thing with Shane and Camille, that's their business. My sister will figure it out she's a big girl. Of course I'll be there for her and comfort her but in the end it's her business and I shouldn't get in the way."

I stand up as well and kiss his cheek. "Thank you for forgiving me."

He nods. "Take care Grace." He kisses my cheek and walks to the door. I follow behind him and stand in the doorway. I watch him walk to his car. Before he get in his vehicle he turns to look at me. He waves and I wave back. Finally he gets in his car and drives away. I stand in the doorway until his car disappears.

"That went well."

I jump a mile in the air and turn to look at Sarah. I put a hand on my chest to steady my heartbeat.

She grabs another potato chip from the bag in her hand. "Shit sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. What did he say?"

I close the front door and lean against it. "He's leaving to California." I grin. "He said he wants to visit the beach."

"So he didn't yell at you? Or call you a slut?"

I glare at her. "No he didn't do any of that. He said he knew all along I liked Shane and he said he was tired of all this high school drama.

"Amen to that" Sarah says "and besides anybody with a pair of eyes could see all that sexual tension between you and Shane."

I narrow my eyes at her.

Sarah just smiles. "Now let's go to the lake house before the sun sets."

~|~

Sarah and I haul out bags from her car to inside the house. We set our bags on the floor and collapse on the couch.

"What do you want to do now? We can swim in the dark but you know I hate that. I always feel like somethings gonna grab me and pull me underneath. " Sarah says

"Why don't we just watch a movie? We can make some s'mores in the microwave. I suggest. "I don't really want to start a bonfire right now."

"That sounds great." Sarah stretches her arms and legs. "This is good you know? Us getting away for a little while."

I nod. "Yeah. It is" I can't help but wonder what Shane is doing? We haven't talked since we kissed. I'm scared to face him. I'm scared of what he makes me feel. But right now I don't want to worry about it. I just want to relax and have fun with Sarah.

Sarah swears. "We have to go grocery shopping otherwise we'll have nothing to eat for today and tomorrow."

"Alright." I stand and extend my hand to her. "Let's get going."

Sarah groans. "I'm so lazy. Why don't you go?"

"I'm not going alone. We're in this together." I lean down and grab my purse of the floor. "Besides if I go alone I'm not grabbing anything you like."

Sarah glares. "Fine. Let's go."