Nineteen

Credence woke up to the sound of soft music, coming from downstairs. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. He sat there for a second, remembering what happened the night before, a small smile forming on his face. He then noticed an amazing smell coming from the kitchen.

With bare feet, he walked down the cold, metal stairs. You were in front of the stove flipping pancakes when you noticed him. His hair was all messed up and his clothes wrinkled from a good nights sleep. You smiled at this adorable sight. "Good morning, Credence!" You said, cheerfully. "Morning." He said with his croaky, morning voice, that you hadn't heard since that morning he had first spent the night. It felt like that was forever ago.

You put a small pile of pancakes on two plates and set them on the table. "Here you go." You said, gesturing him to sit down. He sat and watched as you got the syrup and the milk from the fridge. You placed them on the table and sat down. You poured syrup on your pancakes and then handed the bottle to Credence. He did the same as you cut into your breakfast. "I have to go back to work today." You said, with a sad, quiet voice, after chewing your first bite. Credence froze. He looked up at you with a sad look on his face. "Don't look at me like that, Credence. I don't want to leave you, but I have to make money." You said, sadly. Credence understood, but he didn't want to be left alone. You ate the rest of your breakfast in silence.

After washing this morning's dishes and last night's dishes, you went upstairs to get ready. You showered and got dressed. Leaving the bathroom you thought about that book you never got to give to Credence. It was still in your bag from the night you helped the Barebones' at the church. You went downstairs, to find Credence, walking around your apartment, looking around at the things on your walls and shelves. When he noticed you, he stopped and just stood there, watching you. You went over the the coat hooks and unhooked your bag, reaching inside and pulling out the book.

"I've been wanting to give this to you for such a longtime." You said, holding it out to him. He slowly extended his arm, taking it out of your hand. He looked at it with a small smile appearing on his face. No one had ever given him anything. Not anything personal, that mattered.

"I was thinking you could read it while I'm gone." You said, feeling a little better about leaving him, because he seemed really interested in the book. "Th-Thank you." He said, shyly. You smiled at him as you walked over to the kitchen. "If you get hungry, you can help yourself to anything you want." You said, kindly. "Don't be afraid to make yourself at home. I mean you are going to be living here now, so." You both stood there awkwardly for a few seconds. "Well, I should get going or else I'm going to be late." You said, grabbing your coat. "I should be home by 3:00" You said as you opened the door. You froze in the doorway, thinking. "Are you sure it's okay? That I'm leaving?" You looked at him with sad eyes. He stood there tall and stiff. He was holding the book with both hands, against his chest, like it was the most important thing in the world. You smiled at the sight, as tears filled your eyes. You didn't want to go to work, but you knew you had to. You couldn't afford to not work, especially with Credence living with you now. Before, it was just you and you only had to buy groceries for one and pay the bills for one. He raised his bowed head, looking you in the eyes. "Go. I'll be okay." He said, quietly. You smiled at him again. "You're so brave, Credence. You've been through so much and you're still so brave." He looked back down at his feet, not knowing what to say. "Bye." You said, still smiling at him.

"Bye." He whispered. You closed the door and went on your way to work.

At work you couldn't stop thinking about Credence. It was almost like the first day you had met. You couldn't get him out of your brain. You wondered what he would do all day and if he was going to be okay all alone for so long.

At home, Credence sat down on the couch and opened up the book you gave him. He read and read and read, until he realized it was almost 3:00. He decided to keep reading till you got home. The next thing he realized was that it was 3:45 and you still weren't home. He started to pace the apartment, wondering where you could be. Dark thoughts started to creep in. 'She probably left you. She left you all alone, like everyone else has. She doesn't care about you. Why would she? You're dangerous and you're a freak.' His bitter thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a key sliding into the lock. The door opened and there you were, holding a bunch of bags in your hands. You smiled at him standing there, then you realized he was crying. You shuffled in, setting the bags on the kitchen table. "Credence, what's wrong?" You said, rushing over. "I'm so sorry I was late. I forgot to tell you I needed to run some errands." You said, placing your cold hand on his cheek, wiping away his tears. "It's fine. I'm fine." He said quietly, turning away from you touch. He was embarrassed he was so weak, he couldn't even last a few hours without breaking down.