TWENTY-SIX

Numinous (adj.)

being both fearful and awed by what is before you

-Collie's Word of the Day #181

•••

  HOPPER stood amongst several dead Demodogs in the lab only minutes later, panting for breath as he gazed at the entrance to the Gate. Soft footsteps approached and he turned to find Collie and Jane coming to his side, taking in the slain creatures at their feet.

  As all three looked back toward the entrance, Hopper's radio spat out static and Jonathan's voice came through.

  "Chief, are you there?" he asked. "Chief, do you copy?" Collie's head snapped to the source of the sound as Hopper replied,

  "Yeah, I copy."

  "Close it," said Jonathan.

  The three stepped into an lift of sorts that was suspended by pulleys, the gears groaning in protest as it slowly dropped them down in the gaping, glowing hole in the floor. Darkness enveloped them and the smell of rot invaded their noses, but they were quickly distracted by the sight before them.

  The Gate was at least a mile long up and down, a furious red glow illuminating everything around it. Strings of goo tangled across it like spiderwebs and it towered over the three, threatening to swallow them at any moment.

  Collie, bathed in red light, stared up at the Gate. Numinous, she thought. She failed to keep from trembling as she gripped the side of the lift. Though she wouldn't say it aloud, she was absolutely and utterly terrified.

However, Jane slipped her hand into Collie's and gripped it tight, glancing up at her. At the same moment, Hopper took her other hand and gave it a squeeze, feeling her shaking halt.

The touches filled Collie with strength and she took a deep breath, nodding to herself. She could do this. They could do this.

  After a moment, Collie released Hopper's hand, though kept her hold on Jane's. The girls exchanged a silent glance, then slowly stepped forward and stared intently at the Gate.

  In unison, they raised their free hands and focused on the pulsing mass before them. Collie's eyes flicked to a dull white and electricity appeared in her hand. She centered her energy on the Gate, feeling her power beginning to be absorbed.

  The Gate glowed brighter in response, the strings of goo vibrating angrily. Blood dripped from the girls' noses and their eyes widened in shock as from behind the Gate a figure appeared. It was gigantic with multiple, long limbs and a pointy head, hundreds of feet high.

The mind flayer.

Collie and Jane's hands shook as they glared at the Gate, the air seeming to vibrate around them. The mind flayer growled softly from behind the mass of goo, peering down at them in irritation.

  Collie pulled in a deep breath and stared intently at the Gate, feeling words bubble up from her subconscious.

  "I want you to find something from your past. Something that angers you. Now channel it."