TWENTY-TWO

Rantipole (n.)

a wild, reckless young person

-Collie's Word of the Day #274

•••

   THAT night, the van pulled into the parking lot of an apartment complex, the headlights cutting through the darkness. Mick put on the breaks and twisted around to look at the others.

  "We should case the place, stick to the routine," she said. "We have time."

  "We also have her." Kali switched her gaze to Jane. "Can you look?" The younger girl nodded and closed her eyes, reaching out. After a moment, she looked to her sisters.

  "He's watching television," Jane said. Mick scoffed softly and asked,

  "Is he alone?" Jane thought for a moment, then answered,

  "I saw him. No one else."

  "Good enough for me." Kali nodded her head in satisfaction. "Keep it running. Meet you around back."

  Collie pulled on her mask with the others and peered through the eye holes. This was it. Tonight, she was a rantipole. Tonight, they were going to get their revenge. Tonight, they were going to kill someone.

•••

  Ray Caroll sat in his living room, watching TV with lazy eyes. He stared at the screen blankly, heaving a heavy sigh as he took a swig of his drink.

  Unbeknownst to him, the locks on his door slowly began to undo themselves until they admitted access to the apartment.

  Without warning, the television suddenly winked out. The lights overhead flickered for a moment, then returned to normal. Huffing, Ray stood and fiddled with the TV, attempting to turn it back on.

  Behind him, the door silently opened and a group of people stepped in, wearing dark colors and masks over their faces.

  "Hello, Ray," said Kali. Ray turned and jumped upon seeing the group, his eyes growing to size of saucers.

  "Jesus Christ!" He started toward the door, though Funshine blocked his path and grabbed him by his shirt and said,

  "Sit down. Please." He shoved him back into his seat, looming over him.

  "Just, please..." Ray begged the group. "Just take what you want."

  Axel leaned forward, his smirk practically audible in his voice. "Oh, we will. Where's your wallet?"

  "Bedroom." Ray pointed a shaking finger. "My bedroom. My jeans." Axel and Dottie disappeared around the corner, leaving Collie, Kali, and Jane as Funshine moved to guard the door.

  The three girls stared at Ray through their masks, tense silence enveloping them. Kali removed her mask, then nodded for the other two to do the same.

  Collie's heart raced in her chest, but she barely felt it over the fury that took hold of her. This man tortured people without mercy, experimented on children. He deserved to get a little of what he'd been giving.