Wisdom of the Trees

Ember was glad to be out of that forest, that ghost really creeped her out. She shuddered a the thought of the boys girls story, continuing on her way. Though, she has run across nothing dangerous, she was almost beginning to think that what they were saying wasn't true. But she shouldn't let her guard down, she stayed vigilant. It was beginning to grow dark, she couldn't tell how many days had passed while in the darkened forest. Four maybe? That seemed about right to her. It's been two weeks since she left home. She missed her friends, she missed home. Her stomach knotted as she thought about them, she was homesick.

     Suddenly, a loud groan was heard directly next to her, she jumped and stared at the tree next to her. Was it the tree? Suddenly, what seemed like an eye popped open, a bright green eye stared at her. Then another. A tree? Nope! A body walked forward, but it was the size of a human toddler, small branches formed out of the top of its head making it seem like hair. Thin arms and legs all made of wood along with a chubby belly.

     "Hello?" She said to it, but it had no signs of a mouth.

     "Hello." It said, no mouth was visible, but anything goes in the spirit realm. She didn't know what else to say, so she began continuing on, only for it to follow her.

     "Why are you following me?" She asked, the small being walked next to her.

     "I dunno, I don't see many creatures anymore, I get lonely." It replied, lowering its head. She felt bad for the poor thing.

     "You can come if you'd like." Ember said, the creatures eyes lightened up, it would smile of it could.

     "Thank you!" It cheered. The continued to talk until the creature stopped in its tracks, its eyes widened. Though Ember sensed no signs of danger.

     "Is everyth-"

     "You better be careful." It said, its voice echoed through the trees, everything becoming silent. A breeze brushed past them, "we are all searching for someone who's demons play well with ours."

     "What are you talking about?" She asked, this kid was creeping her out.

      "The pieces of the puzzle have a tendency to come together when you least expect it." It said, a bird flew by Ember, making her jump and look away from the child, turning back, it was gone.

                                        ~•~

     Puzzle? What puzzle? She was confused to the child's wisdom, be careful of what? There was something after her. She looked up at his soul once more, maybe to find comfort. Sighing, she walked faster, she needed somewhere to sleep. It was darkening and she didn't want to be caught in the clutches of Unrien. Eventually, she had found a bush thick enough to hide in, she would be safe here for the night.