Decisions

Ember couldn't sleep, she lay in the cave where she and Abraxas used to sleep. It was so lonely without him, she knew he couldn't come back. He was impure, a spirit was the only way for him to be pure again. But where could she find one? She closed her eyes and thought about this until she fell asleep.

      Ember ran through the forest, playing hide and seek with Abraxas. She sniffed the ground and eventually found his scent, she followed it. Eventually she found a large bush with glistening butterfly wings poking out of the top. Different shades of dark blue ran through them, black outlining them. She circled around the bush seeing his dark blue body laying on the ground. Something was off, his light blue eyes were no longer blue, but white. He stood up, he body forming into a black cloud. The atmosphere changed quickly as the sky darkened and she was surrounded by Unrien. They lunged at her, her screams taken by the wind.

      Ember's eyes snapped open, she panted heavily. Just a nightmare. She though, shaking her head. Light beamed down in the cave, signaling early morning. She stood up and slowly made her way to where her friends were.  She had to tell them what happened to him. Tears threaten her eyes but she quickly shook them off, no more crying. She went faster, gracefully running along the path she memorized over the years. She was now technically two years old, though she was smart and very powerful being so young.

     She stood at the edge of the clearing, watching all of their happy faces run around with smiles, though hers held sadness. She lowered her head and slowly walked into the field. They instantly started walking towards her, greeting her but stopped when they saw her saddened expression.

      "What's wrong?" A small griffin asked, walking toward her. Ember looked up at them.

      "Abraxas... the Unrien got him..." with this, each of them gasped. Some angry, some saddened, other shocked. The news of his impurity spread like wildfire, almost everyone knew by the end of the day. She spent the rest of her day at the cave where she now lived alone. She lay on the ground, not knowing what to do, until a thought hit her. She remembered a conversation she had with a mermaid not too long ago, Unrien still had a small bit of purity in them, their eyes, if you can take their eyes, you can save them. Not entirely, only a spirit can fully purify them.

     She decided, she would find Abraxas and take his eyes. Then, no matter how long it took, she will search for a spirit to help her. After all, she would live for eternity, she had all the time in the world.

                                       ~•~

     Nighttime came slowly, she had waited all day. She remembered exactly what his eyes looked like, much different from others. That's how you can tell them apart. The eyes he had looked like he was sad, droopy eyes. She hid in bushes until Unrien had come out. She stayed perfectly still until she spotted him, his eyes shining in the darkness. She lunged forward, batting at his face until he fell backwards. His eyes widened as her paws struck into him, his body turned to smoke and faded, in her paws, she held a small blue orb with white aura. His soul. It floated upward and above her head, between her long ears, then stayed there. She would move and it followed. Not that she was complaining, she wouldn't have to hold his soul everywhere she went.

     She made her way back to the cave safety, one thing down, one thing left to do. But how?