A Griffin's Feather

Ember thanks the fox family for taking her to the river, but when they left, so did she. Not wanting to come across anymore sirens, she stayed within the forest, following the sound of the water. She listened to the bird song in the trees, she would sometimes join in with the sound of a bird, they would repeat her. She smiled, this kept her from dying of boredom. Not only that, the waterfall was just ahead, she could hear the crashing of water. This was quick, though she doesn't wish to give her hopes up just yet. She walked forward to the small lake that lie at the bottom of the small waterfall. Nothing in sight, until the water seemed to stop as if time froze, though she was able to move perfectly fine.

Suddenly, the water rippled, making her jump in surprise. The middle of the lake seemed to grow upwards like a hill, the hill then taking form of a woman. Her long hair was connected with the water as it covered her like a cape, her body a darker blue. Her eyes stayed close and she spoke in a soft whisper, though it echoed, making it seem louder.

"What are you here for?" She asked, her voice calm as she spoke.

"I am looking for a spirit, I heard that one was here." Ember replied, Boeing her head. This was an elemental of the water. You don't come across these very often.

     "There are no spirits here, as you can see." She said, "come closer." Her voice seemed to become quieter. Ember hovered above the water, the elemental was taken aback by this.

"What it is?" She asked, sitting in mid air. She opened her eyes to reveal bright, sky blue eyes. Ember could see herself through them.

"I sense a great future for you. Though it does not end well, your power of flight is not strong enough to go beyond the trees." Her eyes mirrored and showed her future. She was running from something, but what? She looked closer, she tried to run higher in the sky but instead, she fell down. Suddenly, the water elemental's eyes went pitch black.

"What?" She mumbled, backing away from her, she closed her eyes once more.

"Before you continue this journey, you must help yourself before you can help the one above you. A griffin, convince one to give you one of their feathers and you will become stronger. Become strong for Abraxas." She said before disappearing in the water once more. Time seemed to resume, Ember had no idea what this was, but she needed to find a griffin and convince it to give her one of its feathers.

~•~

     Ember searched high and low, but was unable to find a griffin. There was only one back home, but there was no way she'd be able to get back there in time for whatever her future held. Until something crashed into the bushes next to her. The creature groaned and tried to get out, but its large feathers were stuck in the thorns. A griffin. She approached it quietly.

     "Do you need help?" She asked, the griffin screamed a high pitched scream, indicating it was a girl. It looked at her and nodded.

     "I would like help, thank you." It spoke. I was wrong. That definitely was not a girl, a guy to be honest. Ember helped him out of the bushes, the poor thing being covered in scratched, blood coming from them. She leaned in and licked a couple, the griffin backed away but realized that with each lick, he healed. He allowed her to continue.

     "That's it!" She said, backing away, the griffin smiled at her.

     "Thank you so much!" He said, he couldn't be but at least 13 years old. Young for him but old for her. "How can I repay you?" This was her chance.

     "One of your feathers will do." She answered, he nodded and plucked one of his under feathers off his wing.

     "Be careful, they hold great flying powers when others possess it." He said, handing it to her. She took it in her mouth.

     "I know, thank you!" She thanked him and he flew off, this was a lot easier to get it from him than she thought. But what to do with it?