twenty-four

As I walk along the hallway to my last period, I see Wesley and Lilian together. She leans against the lockers with Wes in front of her, his hands in his pockets. He has a smug look on his face. I look away, feeling a little awkward. I think they'll make a great couple. I pass them, not daring to look at them anymore. I run into Mere on my way to class. We have this class together.

"So, how was your day until now?", Mere asks me, as we sit down at our desk.

I hate Chemistry. At least we got to choose our lab partners.

"Fine, I guess. It's school, what are you expecting?", I tell her.

"Well, Lilian told me that someone was going to ask you to go to Homecoming with them but I think that's not going to happen today", Mere says, sounding a bit disappointed.

"Who should ask me? I don't know anyone that would invite me", I explain.

"I don't know either. Maybe Conner? I mean, he just got to our school and you're the only girl he really knows."

"No, he won't ask me. He probably doesn't even remember my name. All we did together by now is eat lunch with all of you and I showed him around school a little."

"Well, enough to know you and ask you to Homecoming."

"Yeah, I don't know about that yet."

Our teacher starts the lesson soon, making Mere and I silence. We take notes, as he speaks, opening up his presentation to show us some chemical reactions and some experiments that we'll have to recreate soon. I hate Chemistry a lot but I have to take it for college credit. I'm also doing Art History for extra credit. I love getting things done early, so I can actually focus on other things later on. Wesley sent away college applications last week and is sending some this week. I helped him with them because he wasn't too sure of how to describe himself. Wes wants to visit the University of Florida really badly. I hope so bad that he gets a place in that college. He's wanted to go there for as long as I can remember.

"Do you want to grab some coffee after school?", Mere suddenly whispers in my ear.

"I can't. I'm going over to Niall's place to try out the songs for Homecoming", I tell her quietly.

She nods understandingly. I take a few more notes before our teacher dismisses us. Mere and I leave the room together but separate at her locker. She hugs me quickly before I leave to get to my own locker. Wesley drove us to school this morning because we were running late and my motorcycle didn't want to jump on. I don't know how to get to Niall's place yet because Wes still has two classes today and I don't really want to ask Mere to drive me there since she's kind of weird towards me when I mention Niall. I think she's still hurt because Niall slept with her and left her. Maybe I'll just walk over there. I get my jacket, realizing I still have to get my guitar from the auditorium. I groan, walking all the way across the school to the auditorium to get my stupid guitar. As soon as I open the door to the auditorium, I see someone walk to the stage.

"Yo, what are you doing in here?", I call out.

The person turns around. Conner's pearly white teeth give me a sheepish smile.

"I'm discovering the school some more since I want to be part of the football team", Conner answers.

"Then you're completely wrong in here. This is the bands stage, not the football players", I chuckle, walking up to him.

"So, what are you doing here?", he asks me now.

I step on stage, searching for my guitar. I know that I put it behind the piano but it isn't there. Maybe Mr Fitz put it somewhere else. I walk around the stage, searching for my guitar while talking to Conner.