“Hey,” I call out.

He turns around and looks at me. Well I assume he looks at me since he’s still got his shades on and they’re pretty dark.

“I’m assuming that you’re a new student too?” I ask casually.

“Yeah,” he says a little coldly. Then he smiles and his face warms up a little. “Is it that obvious?”

I laugh. “Yes because everyone is staring at you.” I pointed to two girls who were watching his every move. One of them is petit and black and the other one has dark brown hair and I notice that she’s very pretty. They looked away hastily when we turned in their direction.

The stranger smiles briefly before holding out his hand to me.

“Stefan Salvatore,” he says.

I tense up a little because I know that name. It was a very well-known name back in the 20s. I had encountered him briefly in the past but I don’t think he recognizes me now.

“Alayne Mikaelson,” I smile.

“Nice to meet you Alayne,” he smiles back. “I’ll be seeing you around then.”

“Yeah we new kids need to stick together,” I joke.

I exit the office and walk by the girls who were checking out Stefan. I smile at them and surprisingly, they smile back at me. That’s when I’m shoved aside by some guy rushing to get to the bathroom.

“Hey! Watch where you are going you little punk ass kid!” I shout.

One of the girls who smiled at me now rushes over. She smiles apologetically at me before restoring the furious look on her face as she follows they guy into the bathroom. Her friend comes over and asks if I’m ok.

“I’m fine,” I smile brightly.

“Okay good, sorry about Jeremy,” she says, referring to the boy who pushed me. “Elena’s probably giving him crap right now. But they’ve been through some tough times.”

“What happened,” I ask. “I could smell the drugs on him.”

The little black girl looks at me seriously. “Their parents died in a car accident a couple of months ago. They were both devastated and now their struggling to move on. But it’s not that easy.”

“Were they I close family?” I’m curious to know.

“Very close,” the girl says in a matter-of-fact way. “By the way, I’m Bonnie. Bonnie Bennett. I didn’t introduce myself properly.” She blushes slightly.

“S’ok,” I reply. “I’m Alayne Mikaelson.”

We stand there awkwardly for a minute. During the whole time, I could hear every word Elena was saying to Jeremy and it sounded kind of harsh. Jeremy was evidently on drugs and I could tell that his mind did not register a single word Elena was saying to him. A couple of minutes later, Jeremy storms out and Elena comes out after him looking a little flustered but she doesn’t follow him.

Elena looks at me and starts to apologize. “I’m really sorry about what my brother did. He’s going through a tough time.”

“It’s fine,” I answer and I pull my eyes away from Jeremy’s figure as he walks down the hall. My eyes finally land on Elena and I feel myself suck in my breath.

“Katherine?” I question.

“Um no, I’m Elena,” she says introducing herself.

I regain my composure and smile at her. “Oh sorry about that, you just look a lot like someone I knew.”