THE RULES OF LEO WEST

The rules of Leo West

I, Lilan Reed cannot stand Fridays. It's like I'm cursed for an unknown reason. Why does Friday hate me?

Well, I have no clue, but every Friday morning I wake at six forty-five, brush my teeth, and get dressed. Nothing doesn't happen until I get downstairs when my parents are still asleep and the night is still quiet. I grab cereal from on top of the fridge and pour it into and bowl.

You see Fridays aren't bad for anybody. It has a lot of favorites, but I'm not any of them. Friday could only be a bad person if I'm still standing, undefeated with no tears in my eyes. Friday wants to see me ripped apart and lying on the cold hard ground wishing Saturday could save me.

After eating, I rode my bike to school, but something made me stop. The sound of a moving truck backing into the driveway across the street from my house was an immediate rush of adrenaline. I was waiting, staring, and hoping a girl my age would move into that large old house. If only I could be this lucky, but I should have known luck wasn't on my side.

A boy stepped out of the passenger seat. He had headphones over his midnight black hair and sunglasses covering his eyes. He ignored his mom trying to talk to him and walked inside. My heart pounded like never before.

Can someone really move into this house after years of abandonment?

Why this house?

My mind raced until I suddenly remember I had school. I put my feet back on the pedal and speed off.

~

The bell rang for the first period and everyone sat in their seats quickly, but when I walked towards the back of the class, I found the boy I didn't expect to be sitting in my seat.

"This is my seat."

The boy looks up and shrugs, before throwing his foot on the desk and leaning back without a care in the world.

I sighed and stump my foot like a toddler who couldn't get her way. Friday wasn't going to drag me down just yet. "Please move," I say.

He pointed to the seat next to him and turned back towards the teacher.

"Mrs. Reed, take a seat, please." Mrs. Golde says.

I groan and stomp my way to the seat next to the boy. I turn my head towards the window, but at the corner of my eye, I could see him smirking.

All I wanted was my seat. The seat that I sit in every day and Friday, this, Friday was the day that chose to hate me it's worse.

"Mr. West, take your sunglasses off. That's the last time." Mrs. Golde says with a frown on her face.

The boy next to me scoffed and finally took his sunglasses off. I found out that his eyes are green, but what surprised me was a big visible black eye in his right eye. Mrs. Golde was just as surprised as everyone else. "You happy now?" The boy says sounding irritated. Mrs. Golde only shook her head, probably wondering if he's another troublemaker in school and we already had enough.

During class, I couldn't stop staring. Whether it was stealing glances or just staring at his face. The boy finally looks at me with the same smirk.

"What happened to your eye?" I ask but wondered if I shouldn't have asked that because his smirk was ripped from his face.

"Why should I matter to you?" He asks bluntly.

"I-I just wondered," I said nervously.

He laughs, "You know Pandora wondered a lot of things as well, but you know what happened to her?"

I almost let out a gasp, but I covered my mouth with my hands and look away. "That's what It thought." I hear him say.