Interviews (Television)

Start from the beginning

"Her name was Reneesme. She . . . When I met her, she became my life. My reason. I became a part of her. All I wanted was to be able to protect her, and live with her . . . But I'm not with her . . ." Jacob put his face into his hands, clearly overcome with emotion. 

"How did she react to you leaving?" Caesar carefully asked. 

"Well, of course she was devastated, as was I. If I hadn't been absolutely forced to come here, I wouldn't have come. Just . . . Every second away from her I feel like I'm physically being split in half. Every single part of me feels as if I should be with her. But I'm not. I'm here. And I need all the help I can get from the citizens of the Capitol so I can get back to her." 

The crowd, for once, had fallen quiet. Caesar stared into Jacob's watery eyes with a look of importance. 

"Well, I'm sure we will all be rooting for your return to her." After a few short seconds, he turned to the crowd and called, "Let's give it up for Jacob Black, folks!" 

The crowd was on their feet, stomping and screaming as Jacob wiped his cheek while walking off the stage. Everyone was dying for the in-love hunk -- the dim Capitol citizens were falling for Jacob's plea for sponsors disguised as desperation.

The next tribute was one of the demi-gods, Annabeth Chase. She walked onto the stage in a shimmering gray dress. 

"Hello, Annabeth, you look absolutely stunning tonight!" Caesar complimented when they sat down. 

"Thank you, Caesar. I'm dressed like this in respect to my mother, Athena. She is the goddess of wisdom, and a lot of other things. But most importantly, wisdom." Annabeth replied. 

"Wow! Did any of her powers get passed down to you?" Caesar questioned, leaning forward in interest. 

"Of course. I have a knack for strategy and figuring out problems. It's essentially what I do for fun -- that, and fight monsters back home." Annabeth answered as if it were no big deal. 

"Wha -- fight monsters? You?! But look at the size of you, you're simply petite!" Caesar grinned at the crazy idea. 

Annabeth shrugged. "They're Greek monsters, and they love coming to find me."

"So if you happen to fight monsters all the time, then . . . What happened with your score of six during private training, if you don't mind me asking?" Caesar cringed tensely. But Annabeth was prepared. 

"When you fight with a knife like I do, it's not as impressive to just stab a bunch of dummies. But I promise you, you would be surprised at the beasts I've fought in my time. Plus, I am very good at war strategy, which I couldn't display in the session. All of these other tributes are characterized by their physical power, but when it comes down to it, brains will always defeat brawn. Always." Annabeth defended herself. Caesar nodded, impressed. 

"Alright, give it up for Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena!" 

Much time passed, and most of the tributes seemed to have some attractive angle that would grab all of the viewers' attention and make them seem like they had a strong shot at winning the Games. But after all, there is only one winner. 

Chewbacca from Star Wars didn't even have to speak much. He just picked Caesar up a few times and cried out at the crowd, shaking his fists. He instantly won over the heart -- or fear, whichever it may have been -- of Panem.

Finally, there was only one tribute left in the interview process. 

"Our last tribute is a tribute from the Star Wars district! Give it up for Ben Solo, otherwise known as Kylo Ren!" 

An intimidating and dark man walked out onto the crowd, not waving or smiling as the other tributes had been. 

Caesar graciously shook his hand and then the two sat. 

"So, Ben --" 

"I go by Kylo Ren." Kylo immediately interrupted. Caesar held his hands up to his chest in mock surrender. 

"That's totally fine, this is about you! Kylo Ren, tell me . . . What is your home life like?" Caesar asked. 

"At home, I am the sole ruler -- well, supreme leader -- of an authoritarian governing force called the First Order. I have armies obeying my every word and legions of people fearing my reign. I hope to have the same effect in the arena." Kylo described with a sullen lush. 

"Interesting, we seem to have a powerhouse -- in our house! And tell me, do you have any skills you think will be an important part of your Game play?" 

Kylo raised his eyebrows and leaned back comfortably in his chair. "Special skills . . . I have powers none of the other ridiculous tributes, with their magic wands and their ability to turn into an animal and their ridiculous outfits, could fathom. I have the ultimate power in this Games. I intend on giving you all a show while I ease my way to victory." 

Caesar rasied his eyebrows in surprise at Kylo's confidence. "You seem very confident. Are there any tributes that you are particularly afraid of?" 

Kylo scoffed. "Do I seem to be the type to get intimidated by others and their theatrics?"

"We'll take that as a no, then! Let's hear how excited you are to see Kylo Ren in action!" 

The final tribute and Caesar solemnly raised their hands in triumph before the crowd, which was entirely riled up in excitement. No one had seen a tribute that evil before. 

As Kylo Ren walked off the stage, Caesar wrapped the show up by making the audience scream and laugh a few more times. Finally, the television screen went black. 

It was nearly time. 

_____