I crawl over to the end of the bed, and hope they don't notice me. Just then one of them turns to the bed, and sees me.

"There you are Mortal. We have been ordered to prepare you. Can you come to this side of the bed so that we can clean you and dress you in something...proper." She has a blue dress on and steel gray hair. Her voice is stern, as if she is used to being obeyed. She reminds me of an army sergeant, with no tolerance for disobedience. She looks at my old gown in distaste, wrinkling her nose.

My whole body started to tremble. I was not good with people touching me, especially strangers. I shake my head, backing even farther into the corner. She sighs in impatience.

"Come girl, we do not have all day." She tells me. I stare at her with wide eyes, petrified, as my breathing picks up. She reaches out to grab me, and I avoid her hand. She grabs my hand and, in fear, I bite her. Cursing, she pulls back her hand. I see with a small pleasure that I broke the skin, and some blood escapes.

"Agatha, you have scared her. Look at her." Another one of the maids comes up, and she shoos her away from me. Breathing heavily, I stare at her. My body is tense, and I watch her hands, ready to bite again if necessary.

"Now, calm down deary. I am not going to hurt you." She has a comforting, motherly voice. She has graying blond hair, and her blue eyes are soft, with laugh lines in the edges. I shake my head again. Where is Loki? I need him to come back and save me from these women.

"I am Sarah, and she is Agatha. We are here to help you get ready for bed. Please come here so that we can finish our orders. We could get in trouble if we can't do our job." She says, trying to persuade me. I narrow my eyes at her, she was trying to guilt trip me. Shaking my head, I once again refuse to leave the corner.

"Is everything alright?" Loki's gentle voice comes from the door, and I turn my head. He is standing by the door with a few books and containers in his hands. Both maids turn away from me and towards him, and I sigh in relief.

"Milord. We have been trying to get that mortal off the bed, however she is stubborn and refuses. She even bit me! She is like an animal." Agatha exclaims, showing him her hand. He keeps his face stoic, trying to hide his laughter. Sarah elbows her.

"The girl was afraid Milord. Agatha can be a little...severe. The girl acted only out of instinct. However, she has not been willing to get off the bed. We have orders from your mother to help her get ready for bed, and we would like to complete them. Perhaps you could persuade her to comply." Loki smiles.

"I will do my best, Sarah." He walks over to me and sits on the edge of the bed. I scoot over to him, and hide behind his back. "Why do you wish to stay on the bed, instead of getting ready for bed?"

"Agatha scares me." I whisper in his ear. He smiles.

"Want to know a secret?" My eyes light up, and I nod.

"I don't like Agatha either." My eyes go wide.

"Really??" He nods, completely serious.

"She reminds me of an army sergeant."

"Me too."

"Would you let Sarah help you get ready for bed if I sent Agatha away?" I nod.

"I like Sarah." He smiles, and gets up from the bed.

"We have come to a compromise. Sarah will stay and help Claire, while Agatha leaves." They nod, and Agatha goes out the door. Loki picks up all his materials, and he goes to the door once again.

"I will see you tomorrow, Claire. Have a good night, and sleep well." I look at him.

"Goodnight, Loki." He turns and leaves the room, softly closing the door.