CHAPTER 3;

CHAPTER 3:

This ain't the right time for you to fall in love with me.
Baby, I'm just being honest.

The days at Riverdale High moved treacherously slow, Veronica's free period of only one hour stretching out for eternity.   That was, until Melody Valentine approached her with a concerning look.

"Ronnie, you're back!" she said, using it as a device to jump back into conversation. The two former bandmates has grown quite close and tried to keep in touch after her move back to the city.

"Mel! How are you?" Veronica squealed jumping up to hug her friend. "You look stunning." Her favorite part of being back in all honesty was just seeing how everyone was doing in person- not through a screen.

"I'm so good, can't wait to hopefully sing with you again. Thanks V, you look wonderful yourself." the pussycat complemented, sitting down across from Veronica.

"Well, they do say you have a glow up after a relationship ends, right?" Her lips were pursed into a forced look as she thought of her old relationship.

"About that..." Melody hesitated, looking at Veronica with a sour expression. "Your old friend Archie Andrews asked me if I would date him to make you jealous."

For some reason, it hit Veronica like a truck. It was the realization to her that he could in fact date someone else, anyone he wanted. And it was also that he was still pining for her to reciprocate his want to get back together- something she wished to avoid at all costs.

"Archie can do as he pleases, he isn't under lock and key anymore." she said, not feeling the same in her head. Her head screamed, 'he can't do that, he loves you.'

"I said no, Veronica." Melody laughed slightly, seeing the red tint in her friends face. "You're incredibly difficult to read, like a locked safe. But not when it comes to Archie."

Veronica knew that, she'd admitted it to herself several times before. It was true- her diplomatic facade and composed nature melted within fifty feet of the red-haired boy.

"I- well, thank you Mel. How about one weekend soon you come with me to the city and we can have some studio time?" the brunette suggested, wanting to spend more one- on- one time with her old pal.

"I'd love that. Now you be careful Lodge." Melody winked, leaving Veronica to her thoughts.

-

She thought, alright. And she couldn't stop. It was 2 am as she creeped out of Betty's room, careful not to disrupt her.

Slipping on her robe and some slippers, she made her way out to the Cooper's back porch and sat on the swing. A sigh escaped her lips as she realized what a mess her life really was.

He scared her a bit when she saw him, carrying two cups of hot coffee and a blanket. Hesitantly, she scooted over and he sat beside her.

"Hey." Archie said, his voice seeming quiet in the huge night atmosphere. She returned his hello, taking the coffee and thanking him as he covered them in a blanket.

"How'd you find me?" she asked, seeming it to be a metaphor for how lost she'd been her entire life. No one but him had ever managed to really find her.

"I saw you sneaking out of Betty's room, and I could see you from my kitchen window." he answered, noticing her shiver from the cold.

"You couldn't sleep either?"

"Not a lick." She could see how tired he was, and believed he hadn't been sleeping at all.

"I talked to Melody today." Veronica started, nervous to where this talk might go.