chapter twelve | sneaking off

Well, that image looks familiar, doesn't it? I'm so sorry this chapter took forever. I wanted it to be just right. Vote if you like this! Comment what you think so far. ^_^

They made sure to keep any attention far away from them. Once they paid for their room and retrieved their horses, they made sure not to appear as if they were fleeing the village—which they were.

The anxiety of a bounty hunter searching the village made Brenna' stomach twist in knots. It took everything within her not to look around to see if they'd been discovered yet. Elidor had warned her to just keep looking forward. It wouldn't help to sneak away while looking guilty of something, even as difficult as it was not to look over her shoulder. The feeling of being watched was unpleasant, and she couldn't wait to get out of this village.

Just look forward, she kept reminding herself. She repeated those three words over and over again like a silent prayer. If she just kept looking forward, then they could get out of here and far away from the bounty hunter.

"Stop looking so worried," Teena whispered. "You'll do fine, not much farther. And besides, my extra detail helps your disguise so much more. No one will suspect you."

Brenna looked down at the new bump on her stomach. It was a last minute detail Teena had thought of right before they left their room. No one would suspect her, because there was no way the unwed princess would be expecting a baby especially in the middle of meeting someone she was arranged to marry in the future.

It was difficult to get used to the odd weight in front of her even as light as it was. How was she even supposed to be able to get on her horse without the pillow falling down her dress? How did actual pregnant women handle this?

But part of her had to admit, the detail was a bit brilliant on Teena's part, even if she did steal the inn's pillow to accomplish a goal of self-preservation. The thief seemed pretty proud of her work and Brenna wasn't inclined to say anything to discourage her. There were other things to worry about more than a stolen sack of fluff.

She couldn't hide the giggle at the thought.

Teena gave her an odd look. "What is so funny?"

Brenna grinned. "I think I'll call it Fluffy."

The thief let out an exasperated sigh. She was quiet a moment before a grin threatened to appear at the corner of her lips. "Only if you let me be the godmother."

"It's a deal."

"At least this trip won't be too serious," Elidor simply said in front of them.

Brenna nodded and let out a slow breath. At least a majority of the anxiety was out of her chest now.

"Wait. You three!"

And the anxiety was back in full force. Like a rock had been lifted only to be dropped to sink in a pond. Brenna didn't know what to do. Her pulse raced, pounding in her ears. The only thing that kept her from a full on panic was Teena squeezing her hand.

Elidor straightened and looked at the approaching man with a surprising calmness. There was nothing but serenity in his expression.

First, Teena's skill with disguises and now Elidor's acting. These two would have done better in a traveling circus rather than a band of thieves.

The man approached, holding something Brenna couldn't see. He then raised his hand to reveal the servant hat Brenna had used in her escape from the castle. "You dropped this back there," he said.