"Yeah another round!" A man yelled from the table in the corner. The bartender sighed and poured their rounds again before passing then to the man who came to get them. There was a group of about six men all hunched around the table, desperately drunk, who were discussing girls and football whilst trying to stay upright on their chairs. The loudest by far was a dark haired, average height man with bright blue eyes who was at the centre of the group.

"Johnny did you bring the coke?" Half whispered one of the men to the one sitting slumped next to him. Instantly the other one sat up in his chair and reached into his pocket for a small plastic bag filled with a white powder. They all dragged their eyes over to Johnny and grinned.

"Let's get proper dead tonight yeah!" The one with lots of tattoos laughed and they all joined in. The bartender just stood and watched. They did this every night but he was too scared to tell them to leave as the first time he did that they beat him up.

After about five minutes they had passed the bag round and decided it was time to venture outside. They stumbled toward the door and onto the pavement. Johnny walked along and the others all followed him like sheep, none knowing where they were going. The one with blue eyes stopped at the corner to open another bottle of beer and everyone else did the same except Johnny who thought they had all followed him. He stepped out into the road to cross and a truck drove straight into his side.

There was a deadly silence after the shriek of tires whilst everyone tried to piece together what had just happened. The truck driver got out and rang an ambulance whilst checking for any signs of life. There were none.

Three minutes later, the ambulance squealed round the corner and stopped. Two men jumped out and ran over to the body. Once they had established there was nothing they could do, they wrapped him up in a blanket and approached the huddle on the side of the road.

"Did you know him?" One of them asked curtly.

The other men stayed silent so the one with blue eyes stepped forward and nodded. The paramedic looked him up and down and pointed at the ambulance, clearing his throat.

"Get in there, all of you and we'll take you for a checkup"

They grumbled their way across the road, upset that their night out had been disturbed.

-----

At the hospital, they were hurded into the waiting area and then guided one at a time to their own cubicle.

The one with blue eyes sat awkwardly on his bed, refusing to change into a gown and grumbled at the nurse who was trying to convince him. His gaze darted from doctor to doctor and he tried desperately to keep his face hidden from them all.

"Hello I'm Dr Hardy and I'm just going to have a listen to your chest" Said a happy looking doctor as he walked over "Just lean forward for me a minute"

The man leant forward slightly and took a deep breath.

"Good, good right you can sit back now!" Said Dr Hardy as he placed his stethoscope back around his neck. "Um can I ask your name please?"

The man sat dead still and stared into the distance.

"Er can you hear me?"

He nodded slightly and the doctor sighed as he walked away, waving over another nurse to talk to.

A few hours later, the last member of the gang had finally been discharged and the E.D had calmed down ready for the morning. The staff that were left were sitting at the desk or in the staffroom chatting as they waited for more patients. Suddenly, a voice came through the radio and the two paramedics jumped up and ran out to their ambulance parked outside.