3.25 | A Day of Mistakes

A Day of Mistakes

advice: [ad-vahys]; noun; an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.

"What in the world are you talking about?"

June. Early June, right after school got out. Right after the seniors graduated and the juniors were now the top tier of the school's food chain. Jessica Anastos and Sasha Corrian were running the school even from summer, their social media pages blowing up with every new party they attended and every new guy they were seen with.

Unfortunately, the same applied to Caleb Halpon and Ethan Meek. Specifically in the unfortunate department, they were documented with every girl they talked to.

"I'm talking about last night." Sasha replied, her hands on her hips and her eyes focused. "I'm talking about what I saw."

Caleb rolled his eyes, blowing her comment off.

"You didn't see anything." He replied, "All I know is that I see you talking to all sorts of guys with Jessica."

"Yeah, and notice how there's only ever one guy in those pictures? That's because they're talking to Jessica while I stand next to her and wonder where in the world my boyfriend could have possibly wandered off to by himself. Without me."

Caleb took a deep breath, trying to control his emotions. He was feeling a mixture of things: anger at his girlfriend for not trusting him at any point or time, sadness that they were fighting for what felt like the eighteenth time that week...worry that she might accuse him of something he had actually done.

"What are you trying to say, Sasha? If you want to accuse me of something, then just come out and say it to my face."

Sasha laughed, shaking her head as she looked at him. Caleb could practically see the steam coming out of her ears as she tried to control herself, and he took her silence as lack of evidence.

"See? You don't have anything on m--"

"You cheated on me with Gianna Price."

<><><>

"I don't know, man. It doesn't seem like a good idea."

"Why not?" Caleb asked Ethan through the phone, checking his shirt in the mirror across from him. "I promised Scarlet that I'd go."

"It doesn't seem at all sketchy to you?" Ethan asked, "Like in the fact that I hadn't even heard it was happening?"

"Did you expect her to invite her ex-boyfriend to a party?" Caleb returned, rolling his eyes. "I'm no breakup expert, but I think that's a no."

He could hear his best friend sighing from the other end.

"Alright, have fun. Just don't blame me when this ends badly."

"How would it end badly?"

"Does Sasha know you're going?"

Caleb paused momentarily; he had decided it was in Scarlet's best interests if Sasha didn't know where her boyfriend was heading this evening.

"I didn't think so." Ethan said when Caleb didn't speak. "Be careful, man. That's all I'm saying."

"I will." Caleb replied, "But I have to get going. I don't want to be late--that's rude."

"Have fun."