3.07 | Two Worlds in One Head

Two Worlds in One Head

spite: [spahyt]; noun; a malicious, usually petty, desire to harm, annoy, frustrate, or humiliate another person; bitter ill will; malice.

"We've never been to one of these before." Caleb mentioned as he stared at the house looming in front of them, shivering in the late December cold.

"Well, at least not together." Sasha giggled. It was New Year's Eve and she was attending the first of what was sure to be many parties at her new best friend's house. She had been to Jessica's over a hundred times over the past summer and beginning of the school year, but she had yet to be there with Caleb.

"Hey, love!" Sasha was greeted by Jessica as she walked in the open front door, stepping from the freezing cold into the boiling heat as people danced and drank together. Caleb stepped in after her and looked around, his eyes travelling over the mansion.

"Hey, Jess!" Sasha replied, taking Caleb's hand in hers and dragging him to her side. "Thanks for inviting us."

"My best friend is always invited to anything I do." Jess laughed, flipping her long blonde hair over her shoulder. "There are seniors here, Sash. I can't believe seniors showed up to a freshman party." She rolled her eyes, "They must be losers."

"Or you could just be that popular." Sasha winked as Jess looked towards Caleb.

"The rest of the basketball team is here, if you want to hang out with them." She informed him, "You don't have to be Sasha's puppy dog the whole night."

"Jess..."

"Come on, Sash. I get that he's dating someone out of his league, but he could at least act like he doesn't know it." Jessica shrugged as she turned and walked away, taking a drink from one of the seniors dancing around her cheerleader friends.

"I'm sorry about that." Sasha apologized to Caleb, "She's a little outspoken."

"It's fine." Caleb replied, smiling at his girlfriend. "You're out of my league and I'm doing everything I can to keep you. It's not a secret. I'm not ashamed."

Sasha blushed and stood on her toes to place a kiss on his cheek.

"Thanks babe."

The rest of the party passed by without any more tactless remarks from Jessica, and Sasha's mother came to pick them up at one o'clock on New Year's Day. They dropped Caleb off at home, and Sasha's phone buzzed with a text just a few seconds after pulling out of his neighborhood.

I had a great time tonight. Thanks for everything.

Sasha smiled as she typed her response.

Thanks for coming with me. It was a blast.

The three typing dots popped up before Caleb's next text came through, to which Sasha replied immediately with the first thing that came to her head, brought on by Jessica's comments from earlier.

I love you.

I'm yours.

<><><>

"Yo, there's a party tonight. You down with going?"

Ethan shook his head at his best friend's question, to which Caleb rolled his eyes.