1.07 | Two Worlds in One Setting

Two Worlds in One Setting

irony: [ahy-ruh-nee]; noun; an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

    "So how was your first day?"

    Felix felt obligated to make conversation with his cousin as they drove home from school that day. He felt as if his outburst with Jessica Anastos was embarrassing for Nova, and tried his hardest to be kind to her for the rest of the day, even if that had meant sitting with Jessica and her posse at lunch. He was very well aware of the dirty looks being thrown his way every few minutes.

    He had a total of four classes with Jessica Anastos and only three with Nova. He had never been more embarrassed in his life to be in so many classes with someone so far below his intellectual level; Jessica Anastos was no Einstein. He had a break from her between 1st period Psychology and 3rd period Music Theory when he went to AP Marine Science with Nova, but was back with her for 4th period Creative Writing. Another break ensued when Felix headed to 5th period AP US History, where he was surprised to find Caleb Halpon sitting next to him.

6th period English brought the worst class he could have imagined. There was only one option for seniors where English was concerned, and it was the generic 12th Grade English class, taught by an angry teacher with next to no personality and certainly not a care for teaching real material. The class consisted of only one person Felix liked: Nova. The rest contained the likes of Jessica Anastos, Sasha Corrian, Ethan Meek, and Caleb Halpon. And with the basketball team still feuding with the cheerleaders, there was little anyone did in that class but glare and whisper.

7th period brought a relief in the form of AP Calculus. There was nothing Felix enjoyed more than working out math problems after a stressful day, and that's exactly what AP Calculus brought him as he tried to ignore the ever-present presence of Caleb Halpon in the back of the room. The kid was certainly desperate for AP credits.

    "It was...interesting." Nova replied cautiously. "I'm not sure how well I fit in with everyone. I did enjoy my drama class."

    Felix nodded.

    "You'll fit in fine once you get the hang of things. Maybe you could try out for the school musical; I think they're having auditions in the next few weeks."

    "Really?" Nova's face lit up when Felix spoke. "Do you know what the musical is?"

    Felix shook his head.

    "I just know that they always have auditions at the beginning of the year, really close to the first week. I think one of my friends did it last year."

    The two sat in silence for a few minutes, until Felix made a sharp left turn into his neighborhood.

    "This is it." he announced as they pulled up to the house. "This is our home."

    He watched as Nova looked up at the modest three-story home, her eyes widening.

    "It's huge." she whispered.

    Felix wondered worriedly what she had been living in for the past few years. His house was far from huge when compared with many of the mansions that the kids in his school lived in. If Nova ended up becoming friends with the popular crowd, she would soon end up seeing what kind of houses she was really missing out on.

    "Well, let's go on in." Felix said, realizing that they were still sitting in the driveway. He pushed the parking break down and turned the car off, hopping out with his bookbag in one hand and his phone in the other.