1.25 | A Week of Silence

A Week of Silence

fall: [fawl]; verb; to become less or lower; become of a lower level, degree, amount, quality, value, number, etc.; decline.

    "What's going on?"

    Felix tried his best to look completely confused by his cousin's question, shaking his head.

    "What do you mean?"

    Nova rolled her eyes.

    "You never talk to me in school. I thought that I was too far below your IQ." She laughed, "Or at least that's what I assumed."

    Felix laughed at the small attempt at a joke.

    "No, of course not. I was just really busy these past few months, with...um..." he trailed off, unsure of how to finish his sentence. He wanted to say that he had been busy wasting his time with someone who at the emotional capacity of a walnut, but he knew that claiming he had dated Jessica Anastos was just a way for him to be teased even more relentlessly by his classmates; Jessica would deny it in a heartbeat.

    "I was busy with a ton of school projects, which I was constantly planning during school because I'm a nerd and school is all I think about." Felix finished his sentence eventually, landing on something that was likely to make him sound incredibly, and realistically, pathetic.

    "That's alright, you're not a nerd." Nova shook her head as they headed to English. She had opted to walk with her cousin as the rest of her friends walked ahead of her. "My friends like you, at least. They think that you're pretty chill."

    "Your friends?" Felix laughed, "Like Ethan Meek and Sasha Corrian? I doubt that."

    "No, they do!" Nova laughed, "I think that they're just afraid of how smart you are."

    "Thanks for trying to be nice, but it's okay, I know how everyone thinks of me." He shook his head, and the two continued in silence as they approached the English classroom. Generally, Felix would have accepted the compliment after a few tries from his cousin, but today was different; it marked one week since he had broken up with Jessica Anastos, and he felt as if everything in his life were different. He felt like no one in the school could appreciate him, since the one person he thought could no longer did.

    And perhaps never had.

    Felix walked into the English classroom and took his seat, averting his eyes so that he didn't have to see Jessica or her friends. He could feel Jessica's eyes on him as he sat down and took out a pencil and notebook, preparing for the class and trying his hardest not to look over at the most beautiful girl he knew. A girl who was no longer his.

    He prayed that everything wrong in his life would just pass by quickly.

<><><>

    "You'd better be praying that this passes quickly."

    "Excuse me?"

    Jessica looked up in annoyance at her best friend. Sasha was walking towards her with a sour look on her face, barging into her bedroom as if she lived in the house.

    "Who let you in?"

    "Who let me in?" Sasha repeated, "I've been letting myself into this house since we were infants. I don't know what's gotten into you in these past few weeks, but whatever it is, I'm done dealing with it."

    "What's that supposed to mean? And what do you mean that I'd better hope this passes quickly?"

    "You'd better hope that the anger you have caused in all the teachers who have any sort of hold over you passes quickly." Sasha replied. "Because right now, they're not happy with you."