Chapter 11: Kristopher

Start from the beginning

My stomach shriveled up within my body. He knew where I had buried Barbara. The picture depicted the little mound of dirt I had left behind. I suddenly felt nauseous. This was it, I was going to be found out. He could easily send this to Backstrom.  He was threatening me and that pissed me off. I curled a fist, remembering that Jenny was in the room.

"I'm sorry?" I said, asking her to repeat herself.

"I asked if maybe you wanted to have dinner with me tonight." she said. "You know, a little break from all this."

Yes, I could use a break.

"That's very kind of you to ask, but since I'm working on Maria's case, I'm not at all sure that that's appropriate." I told her.

"The news said the FBI took over." she pointed out. Oh so when I was stalking the streets she and Maria didn't watch the news, but now she was all over it.

"It's still a conflict of interest."

"Is it?"

I have shared my bed with your best friend, who for the last 6 months has been my captive.

"Okay, fine, I get it." she shrugged.

"Jennifer, you're an attractive girl, but it's just not appropriate for the time being. I hope you understand."

"I understand."

"If things were different, Jenny."

Women loved that being strung along shit, even if they said they didn't.

"I'll see you later I suppose." she said, turning out of my office.

I looked at my phone again, seeing another photo had been sent. My legs wobbled at the image. It was Maria, sitting on the sofa with Eloise. He was watching them. I snatched my suit jacket up, speed walking out of my office. Someone grabbed my arm, whirling me around.

Adrian, not now.

"Where are you off to in such a rush?" Backstrom asked, releasing my arm.

Okay, so it wasn't Adrian, it was much worse.

"I have to take a massive shit, would you like to come along?" I told her.

She grimaced, shaking her head.

"No, thank you. You're the first one we're going to interview, so hurry back."

"Do you really want to interview me after I dump that load? I'm probably gonna be lightheaded afterwards.

"Cut the shit, Kris." Backstrom snapped. Her eyes had dilated in anger and her forehead had creased.

"I'm trying to take one, and you're not letting me."

"Be here in 20 minutes or I'm going to bury you."

I stared at her. Bury me, like I buried Barbara?

Was she The Admirer?

"20 minutes." I nodded, but a very long 20 minutes.

She stood there watching me walk down the hall and turn into the Men's room. I looked around, spotting the window.

Fine.

I stepped onto the sink and pushed the window open to awkwardly squeeze out like a fat worm. When I'd ripped half my slacks off trying to get through the tiny frame, I dashed through the parking lot. 20 minutes was not enough to rush home and ensure that Maria was alright.  Too many women to deal with, when the hell did my life get so complicated? It was better when the only person who gave me crap for being late or the only one I worried about was Eloise.