She let out a gasp and he pulled back, placing his index finger slowly against his lips before nodding at her and resuming his position.

He stayed there for a while before starting to trail his nose along the whole column of her neck and rubbing his stubble against her throat and cheek, making little sniffing sounds. It was the first time he had scented her that week- she hadn't realised how much she'd needed it.

All of a sudden, he shuffled so that his body was on the chair, half of his body weight pressing into her as he started to scent her more fiercely. There were cushions and pillows between their bodies, and he wasn't touching anything below the waist, his hands making no attempt to do anything other than rub her stomach in circular motions, but that didn't matter to Layla. 

He was heavy against her, the force of his body grounding, and a sharp bubbling itch started in her stomach. 

She found herself becoming aroused. 

Just as she made that mental note, she felt teeth at her neck, catching against the skin and ripping the sigh of appreciation out of her.

"Shh. Shh." He whispered in her ear, teeth grazing the lobe.

He trailed down to her collar bone and rubbed the side of his face against the expanse until the skin felt burnt, then stopped himself with a quiet growl and rolled off the chair to the floor.

The sound of his breathing joined the clock.

Tick.

Tick.

Layla blinked and there were voices. At first murmuring, then biting words which grew louder until they were crystal clear. 

The haziness of sleep faded away.

They were arguing.

"-better if she was in our bed like I originally planned." 

His voice was close. 

On the floor, next to her, close.

It hadn't been a dream.

"Originally planned? What about the mating we originally planned?" A scoff. "To think, the week we were meant to mate, you get called in to give that damn sample and now we'll have to wait another six months before we can do anything. Don't you think that's unfair?"

As if Layla couldn't feel any worse.

Dale started shuffling and she could tell that he'd stood up. "Let's not talk about what's unfair or not. It's too late to change it now."

Layla started to feel bad about listening into the conversation so she opened her eyes and yawned, announcing that she was awake.

Evangeline looked down at her and pressed her lips into a thin line, seeming annoyed that her conversation had been cut short. She folded her arms and glanced at Dale, trying to motion with her eyes that they'd be continuing the discussion later.

Unfortunately for her, Dale was looking at Layla with wide eyes and missed her stare. "You feeling okay?" He ran a hand through the tussled mass of hair on his head and fixed his shirt as it had ridden up during the night. "Need help getting to the toilet? Hungry?"

Layla plastered a smile on her face and waved him off. "I'm only three months along. I think I can manage the toilet by myself." She moved into a sitting position and swung her feet to the floor. After hearing their prior conversation, she had to admit she wasn't feeling too good though. "I don't think I'll go into college today, I feel a bit sick."