Thespian: Origin - Act Fifteen

I hung around Times Square, using my skills as a TV doctor to do the best I could do to help. Let those showboats of the Heroic Alliance go for the big battle with the baddies. I was making a difference on a small level here. I had to admit that it felt good and I had to hand it to the cops and paramedics who were there with me, they really gave it their all.

When most wounded citizens had been carted off in ambulances and the situation was more or less under control I was having a chat with a pretty cop. I liked her freckles and button nose. That's when my cell phone rang. It was my dear agent Maggie Chen.

"Hi," I say, walking away from the cop to have a private conversation.

"Good news! You know that audition you botched by showing up late? I had to talk like crazy but they are willing to see you again tomorrow morning," Maggie tells me.

"You gotta be kidding me," I say, kicking in the air out of frustration.

"What's that?"

"I won't be able to make that I'm afraid. I'm in New York right now."

"New York? What are you doing there? Are you on an audition and you didn't tell me anything about it?"

"No... It's... complicated..."

"I'll bet there's some sort of silicone floozy involved again!"

"No, it's nothing like that. But please, I'm sure I'll be able to get there tomorrow in the afternoon."

"Sorry, they told me tomorrow morning is your last chance."

Not knowing what to say I just disconnect. It's the middle of the night and I'm dead tired. No way I can get taxi and in a plane fast enough. So I just start walking shedding my mask as soon as I'm out of sight of the cops and find my way to the nearest bar.

There's a gorgeous raven-haired girl with enough tattoos on her arms to lose yourself in, just studying those shapes and lines. My eye drift off to other areas every now and then as well. I just keep ordering shots of Jack until closing time.

"Closing time, buddy," she says. "Time to get yourself home."

"That won't be easy. I live in L.A. and I'm pretty sure they won't allow me to fly this drunk."

"So, go back to your hotel."

"Haven't got one either."

"You'll have a hard time getting one in the middle of the night. What came into you to come here all the way from the West Coast without booking one?"

"I get a bit spontaneous now and then."

"Obviously. You look familiar though? Have you lived here in the past?"

"You might have seen me on TV. I'm an actor."

"No kidding! Cool. What shows were you in?"

I mention a few. She claps her hands, all excited. "That's great. Say, what do you say we get you another drink at my place. You can stay with me until you're sober enough for a plane."

"Sounds great," I say. Maybe my luck is changing. I might even get lucky.

And yeah, I did. After a few more drinks we explored all corners of her small apartment until we both fell asleep. Good to know being an actor still can get you laid.

I slip out of bed and get dressed, watching her naked back and the huge eagle tattooed on it. So sexy. Still, I figured it be best to leave this a one night stand and leave her apartment as quietly as I can.

I manage to haul a cab and go to the airport, get some tickets and drink a lot of coffee to get rid of my hangover. I read the new on my phone. There's pictures of me helping the paramedics and a text that says Mysterious man in thespian masks aids local hero Invulnergirl. Basically I get a better review for that performance then I ever got for my acting abilities. Maybe I was superhero material after all.

In more news I read Johnny Bubblegum has left the hospital, having been cured by Magnificent Woman. That's nice I have to admit. Don't care for the other heroes but so far I don't dislike him yet. I wonder what the Heroic Alliance are going to do about that cyborg problem now. They seemed to be determined to take the fight to them somehow. Well,, maybe it would be in the news later. It wasn't my business anymore. Better to focus on the kind of stuff I was good at. Saving people on a smaller scale. Fighting off some pimps, dealers and henchman in Hollywood.