3.1

I could tell Braken was upset. He wanted to go back to Leo - he wanted me to apologize. And I wasn't going to do it. Was I at fault? Probably a little. But Leo was the one who had used me for pity over and over again, and I was tired of it.

Braken was sitting on a blanket pile, looking down between his knees. He wasn't wearing his skirt today, and kept smoothing his pants down over his legs. Even when I tried to talk to him, he wouldn't look up, and he yanked his hand away every time I asked him to explain.

"Braken, don't do this to me," I said, trying once again to communicate. He just ducked his head and hugged himself around his waist, avoiding eye contact. "I want to help you. You know that."

He just snorted and rubbed his face with the sleeve of his hoodie. 

I sat next to him, brushing against his side. He tensed up for a moment, but didn't move, so I put my arm around his shoulders, hoping to seem comforting. I don't think I accomplished that, because even though he didn't move away from me, he turned his face away and pulled his knees up to his chest to try and make himself smaller. "Tell me what's wrong," I murmured. "Does your back hurt?"

He grabbed my wrist tightly, writing more aggressively than usual. I WANT TO SCREEM AT YOU.

"Wh -"

I KNOW LEO HATES YOU BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO MAKE HIM HATE ME TO. He shoved me away and climbed to his feet, his shoulders tight in anger. I tried to call after him as he stormed away, but he cut me off with a sharp gesture and I went quiet.

I knew he was going back to Leo, and as much as I wanted to stop him, I knew that that would only cause more problems, so I let him go. I didn't want Braken to get hurt, but he wouldn't listen to me. I didn't want to fight him.

So I went back to wandering the camp. I had a massive breakout to plan, and I couldn't be this distracted. I could get Braken away from Leo later. Gus could already be dead. I didn't want to let anymore of them down. 

Eventually, the burns on my arm began to hurt again, so I decided to find something to wash up with. The bandages were getting old. The wounds searing my flesh looked eerily like Braken's burnt hands had, and I shuddered as I unwrapped myself, throwing the bloody bandages away. As I moved across the kitchen to get some more, I heard something. Leo's voice.

"Answer my question," he growled. He didn't get an answer - not a verbal one, anyway. He was talking to Braken.

I quickly found the bedroom they'd shut themselves in, and almost pulled open the door, but then I paused. Maybe Braken would do something I couldn't. Maybe he'd actually reach him. I should've left them alone, but instead, I sat down next to the door and listened.

"Why don't you love me anymore?" Leo demanded. "We grew up together. We've been through so much, and now you're replacing me with Joel." 

Pause.

"No, that's not true! You're using all your love up on him. You don't have any left for me." His voice cracked and he cleared his throat.

Pause.

"Stop it. Stop saying that! You're lying to me! I can see it on your face! You're afraid of me, too, aren't you? You're following him everywhere he goes because you're afraid of me!"

I wanted to interject. I wanted to protect Braken, but something stopped me. I found myself pressed up closer to the door, my chest tight in anticipation. 

"Shut up and get out of here. I don't want to see your lying face anymore."

This time, I heard Braken squeal softly. He didn't sound hurt - at least not physically - so again, I didn't move.