Chapter Fifteen

As Varian held Cassandra close to him, he could practically see his future unfolding before him.

The images from his dream came flooding back, and he gladly welcomed them. For the first time, it seemed like it all could actually happen...

Cass pulled apart from him, smiling. "Hey."

His heart lifted and his stomach became a high-speed racetrack. "Hey."

By goodness... She was the best. And, by goodness, he loved her so much. He never intended to fall for her, but here he was... One hundred percent head-over-heels in love with Cassandra.

He studied her face. "You're amazing."

"Tell me something I don't know."

Varian chuckled before replying, "I'm not even going to try."

Cass leaned into his embrace again, wishing that this moment would never end. Of course, that was a futile hope.

Craig and Jonah entered again- Craig carrying food, Jonah carrying canteens of water.

"Okay!" Craig shouted, "group dinner and meeting!"

As much as he didn't want to, Varian let go of Cassandra and went to take a seat at the small table across the room. Cass sat next to him, quickly busying herself with eating- a failed attempt at hiding her furious blush. Craig and Jonah sat down opposite them, but did nothing with their food.

"Cassandra's told us a little bit about you, kid," Craig said.

"My name is Varian."

Craig shrugged indifferently. "Including your ancestry."

"We know of the big decision ahead of you," Jonah continued in a friendly voice, "and we would like to help you out as much as we possibly can."

~-~

"And, finally," Cassandra said, tossing a leatherbound notebook on the table, "I found this in the ruins a few days ago. It's the journal that once belonged to Demanitus himself. I've been trying to study it for any clues..."

"And?" Varian asked, leaning forward, "did you find anything?"

Cass nodded, consulting the book. "It's made clear that Demanitus was not happy about everything that happened. So... I believe he would've wanted you to take back Old Corona."

"Is there proof that it's Varian for certain?" Jonah asked, "I mean... I believe that it is Varian, but..."

Varian had to agree with this. Demanitus had come to him, telling him that he was the only one who could make this decision. But... Why him?