The rogue Officials expected us to have the river as a water source. I go through the rest of my bag, but there’s nothing else. Just more pills, crackers, and Water Filtration Systems.

I carefully place everything back in my bag. Nothing to drink and nothing to wrap Brinn’s ankle with.

I call out, “I’ve got nothing. My bag is filled with crackers, pills, and Water Filtration Systems.”

Bridget eagerly asks, “There’s water?”

I reluctantly shake my head no, “It’s only a filter system. I think they were expecting the river to still be here for a water source.”

We learned in Health Teaching that the human body can survive three days without water. How long will it take to reach the village? Will there be water at the village?

Canton says from his bag, “You have to see this…”

We all glance over at Canton. He holds up a small, cylindrical object about the width and length of my thumb. It’s pure steel with a red button placed on one end.

Canton reads the label out loud, “Miniature High-Voltage Long-Distance Taser. Simply slide off the safety lock and point end without red button in the direction of the threatening animal and press the red button. Will stun any threatening animal within five seconds, for at least three hours, depending on body mass and weight. Not to play with.”

Bridget raises an eyebrow, “That sounds dangerous. But…I feel a lot safer knowing we have these.”

Canton pulls out more, “There are at least five of these. We could each hang on to one, just in case we are separated at the time of attack.”

We all agree and Canton gives us each one. I examine my own. There’s a small sliding bar on the side. That must be the safety lock. I hold it tightly in my hand.

Canton motions to other items from his bag, “I also have multiple fire-starting kits, and um…umbrellas? I don’t know what those are.”

Bridget unzips her bag, “I have clothes. All kinds of it. Also, these type of shoes, but they’re made of a lot thicker material, probably so rocks don’t cut our feet.”

Piper adds, “I’ve just got blankets and some type of inflatable pillow.”

I say, “Let’s just use some clothes to wrap it up.”

Bridget retrieves a long sleeved shirt from the pile. Everyone else begins repacking their stuff.

I slip my Taser into my bag and sit closer to Brinn. I explain, “This probably going to hurt, but it’ll make it better in the long run.”

Brinn presses her lips together and nods.

I gingerly begin to wrap the shirt around her ankle. A slight whimper escapes Brinn’s lips, but she says nothing. I’m carefully to tie it tight, without cutting off the blood flow. I finish by tying the sleeves in a knot to hold it in place.

Brinn’s fingers clutch the hem of her shirt, her knuckles white. She gives me a faint smile through the tears shimmering in her eyes.

I’m not sure if I did it right. I’ve only seen a Nurse do it once. I can only hope that I didn’t make it worse.

Canton asks, “Brinn, could we see what’s in your bag?”

Brinn nods quickly and slides it off her back. Canton unzips the top. He pulls it open. His brow wrinkles together in his confusion.

“What is it?” I question.

Canton explains, “It’s just…It’s just full of hologram generators. We went through all the ones they gave us except for three. This has to be at least ten, maybe fifteen.”