Chapter Two: Rooftop Skylines

Start from the beginning

"You look pretty," he commented as we climbed in, a tiny hint of a smile on his face. I couldn't help the little bit of pink that crept its way across my cheeks as I smiled back, quietly thanking him for the compliment. I forced the blush away, letting the more light hearted conversation take over as he began driving.

The New York city sun was crazy bright, shining in through the windshield. I lifted my hand as we talked, shielding my eyes from the intense glare. Max looked over at me, seeing my dilemma.

"Here," he said, taking off his sunglasses and handing them to me. I smiled my thanks, pushing them on as he reached behind his seat and dug around. They fit perfectly, I thought, as he grabbed another pair, slipping them on. He looked over at me again, smiling that damn smile that I couldn't help but return.

"They look good on you," he told me, making me blush again. I just smiled as he turned the radio on, filling the car with loud music. We fell into a comfortable, easy silence that was oddly not awkward. I began singing under my breath to the songs, being careful never to get loud enough for Max to hear. He however, sang loudly and proudly, which I didn't complain about... He was really good. His voice made me smile.

Every once in a while, I would catch Max stealing glances at me out of the corner of his eye. He would smile each time as his gaze returned to the road... I couldn't determine if it was a good thing or a bad thing, so I tried to ignore it to let me feel less subconscious... But it never worked. I always seemed to notice him glancing at me.

He drove through the city, stopping at red lights quite often. He took several turns, making me wonder where in the world we were going.

"Hey Max?" I asked, looking out the window.

"Yes?"

"Where are we going?"

Max smiled at me as he pulled around a building, parking in a corner. We got out, locking the door before he began to pull me away and down the street. He looked like a child, his happy smile a lovely sight as we walked down the road.

"You didn't answer my question, ya know," I pointed out as he pulled me, leading me over to a coffee cart.

He shrugged, looking down at me. "I know you'll love it, I've got it all planned out... Just trust me Blakely."

I slowly nodded, standing behind him as he ordered his coffee. He took it from the man, paying him and standing back so I could order. I got a frozen mocha, sipping on it as I reached in my back pocket for my wallet.

"Thanks," I heard the man say. I looked up to see Max getting his change from buying my drink for me. Before I had the chance to object, Max swiftly pulled me forward and down the street.

"Max..." I began.

"Mmm yes?" he said in an amused tone, flashing me a smile. I rolled my eyes, playfully nudging him in the ribs.

"You didn't have to do that," I said, taking a sip of my coffee. He just shrugged, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"Why not?" he responded, drinking his warm drink. I just smiled a little bit, feeling the weight of his arm on my shoulder. His hand played with one of my curls, twisting it between his fingers.

"Well thank you," I told him.

He grinned down at me. "Now that's the spirit!" he said happily. "Come on! We're here..." he said, leading me down an alley. We walked until we got to a door, that Max just opened and strolled right in. I hesitated, watching him climb a few stairs. He looked back at me, smiling as he climbed back down in front of me.

"Now what did I say?" he asked, holding out his hand with a gentle smile. I ran a hand through my hair, pushing his sunglasses up on the top of my head.