H E A R T B E A T

Start from the beginning

He yelled something but she was already gone.

×

The next time Liz woke up was much more pleasant.

She could finally feel her fingers again and the ice was gone from her limbs. She drew a deep breath, feeling like the past hours were but a distant memory, but shot her eyes right open as a sharp pain stabbed into her shoulder, sending barbed wires through her entire body.

She sat up.

"What the hell..."

She was wearing some kind of scrubs and a bandage -- completely white save for a fresh bloodstain just by her collarbone -- was wrapped around her upper body underneath them. Liz carefully pressed down on it, then decided it was a bad idea.

Her gaze went to the room.

It was typical for a cabin: warm and full of trinkets and woodwork. An open fire burned in the corner, on top the mantel was a small radio mumbling out smooth jazz. It was nice.

But she couldn't for the life of her figure out where she was.

Liz pulled the comforter closer, looked out the window (it was still dark) and then to the door where she swore she could hear voices.

"Hello?" she called out.

The conversation ceased abruptly, yet nobody entered.

On a whim, Liz got out of bed and hurried across the floor. The wood was cold underneath her naked soles and goosebumps were sprinkled across her legs by the time she made it to her target: the fireplace. More precisely, a silver candlestick on top of it, just by the radio.

She weighed it in her hand, made a few swinging motions to ready herself in case worst came to worst.

"You look well."

She spun around to meet whomever had managed to open the door without her noticing.

It was a man -- about her age but flashing a smile making it seem like he was wiser by decades. He stood in the doorframe, looking to the candlestick as if waiting for Liz to smack him upside the head with it.

She didn't. But she didn't let it go either; carefully positioning it between them and hoping he didn't notice.

"Who're you?"

"You definitely perked up fast," he noted with a thoughtful sweep of the gaze. "Good to know."

"I asked you a question."

"What, you don't remember?"

Liz didn't respond.

"I'm the one who saved you! You jumped into the lake."

She lowered the candlestick a tad bit and looked around the room with new eyes, thinking it kind of did make sense. "I didn't jump, I fell in."

"Stupid, either way. I thought you were a goner for a second there but here you are, stealing my decor."

Liz remembered the second she fell into the water and realized she probably owed this man her life. Taking that into consideration, she put the candlestick back ontop the fireplace and offered a sincere, "Thank you."

The stranger waved her off. "Don't mention it. I'm just glad I found you when I did, laying in the snow like that."

"The snow?" Liz blinked a few times, tried to get her thoughts to piece together. She was suffering from delusions and memory loss; seeing flashes of fur and claws bringing her up from the depths. "You didn't dive in after me?"

"Nevermind that now!" the man laughed a little too loudly. "You probably have somewhere to get back to, right?"

She thought back to the freshy, as well as the senior, and nodded. "Yeah, I do. And I have to hurry."

He clapped his hands together. "And hurry, we will! But first I gotta get your clothes. They should be dry by now. Just a second."

Pontus closed the door behind him. At the same time it hit the frame, his charming smile dropped and his demeanor transformed. His chest boasted, his hands curled into fists.

He walked across the hall, stopped by a door parallell to that of the human guest, and knocked thrice.

The door slid open and he walked into a dark office.

"She's awake, sir," he informed dutifully to the silhouette of a man sitting behind the desk, staring out the window.

"And?"

"She's definitely human."

The man in the chair ground his teeth, knew that what his subordinate was telling him was impossible. He'd been in her room, watched her, and felt the bond; the indescribable sense of belonging every wolf would once feel towards one of its kin.

She couldn't be human.

But he wasn't one to reveal his hand, and would investigate the strange female by himself before acting. Now he settled with nodding, dismissing his visitor with the microscopic wave of his hand. "Very well. Take her back."

"Yessir."

"And Levgood?"

"Sir."

"Make sure she isn't left alone in the woods again."

Pontus Levgood found his alpha's orders weird but knew better than to object. He excused himself and exited the office.

The man in the chair watched as Levgood and the supposedly human female walked out the house and studied them both intently until they dissapeared into the treeline. He suddenly felt frustrated and, in an attempt to calm himself, reached into his pocket and brought out a small device he'd snatched from her possessions: her cellphone. He held it to his nose and drew a deep breath.

He didn't like Levgood being alone with her but at the same time her arrival had been extremely out of the ordinary and thrown him off. Showing how much he'd come to care for the female would be dangerous in many ways. Too many. The best decision would be to inspect her on his own.

That didn't mean his thoughts weren't ablaze with her -- her.

Who was she? Somehow neither wolf nor human. Why had she been exiled to the forest by her kin?

Perhaps she was not to be trusted.

The man in the chair dismissed the idea immediately and thought it best that he didn't know who sent her into the woods to fend for herself.

If he did he would have had to kill them.

Don't forget to vote & share!!
Lots of love!!