24 | Welcome to New York

Start from the beginning

She ignores my words, of course, but she does turn her cunning hazel eyes on me. "I hope you enjoy your weekend in New York, Peyton," she says with a smile that makes my stomach drop. Turning on her heel, Clarissa and her flunky head for the door, but not before she calls over her shoulder, "Say hi to Mia for me, won't you?"

I'm pretty sure I didn't do well on my calculus test. Despite my lies to Hunter, I do have a basic grasp of the content, but Clarissa's farewell kept repeating in my head while I tried my best to focus on the equations in front of me. Before I knew it, the test time was up and I'd only finished seven of the twelve questions.

By the time lunch hour rolls around, and our group is preparing to leave, I'm ready to bolt out the front doors. Which I end up doing, trailed by Ethan, Addy and Hunter, overnight bags slung over our shoulders. Eliza plays escort, seeing us to the boys cars and making sure we let her know when we get to the airport. I've never seen the tough girl act like a mother hen, and I have to stifle a laugh. I feel bad her parents wouldn't agree to let her come, but she assures me not to worry about it as I give her a hug— the first ever— and climb into Hunter's truck.

When he turns into a long winding driveway I recognise, Ethan following behind him in his Saturn, I raise a brow.

Hunter rubs a hand over the back of his neck. "My, uh, mom wants to drive us. Something about not wanting us to have to leave our cars at the airport over the weekend."

I paint a smile on my face, but I know how big a deal this is for him. Claire barely leaves the house, let alone the town. I can't imagine how hard it must've been for her to offer to drive all the way to Fayetteville, almost two hours from Rock Valley.

When we pull up to the house, the red truck Hunter's father drives is gone. Instead, a plain silver van sits just outside the garage. He and Ethan park their vehicles off to the side, and by the time we reach the front door, Hunter's mom is already pulling it open and smiling at us. She hugs me first, and I gently hug her back. Ethan's next, and he hugs her like any teenage boy hugs his own mom. Hunter told me once that Ethan's parents were like his own. Watching Ethan and Claire, it's obvious he feels the same.

I don't turn to look at Addison until Claire does, her hands going to her mouth as if she's utterly surprised to see the timid blonde girl on her front porch. Addison has gone pale, and I barely have a moment to contemplate it before Hunter's mom has her arms wrapped around her tighter than I'd thought possible.

Turning to Hunter, I give him a questioning look, but he waves off my concern.

When Claire whispers something in Addy's ear that makes her go rigid, Hunter clears his throat to get her attention. "We should get on the road, Mom. Don't want to miss our flight."

Claire leans back, holding Addy's shoulders. My best friend doesn't look uncomfortable, per sae, but I give her a reassuring smile anyways. "There's a bag I packed with food for you kids on the counter," Hunter's mom tells him, and with a quick kiss to my temple, he brushes past her and heads for the kitchen. Claire lets go of Addy and turns in search of her purse and her keys. She finds the latter hanging on the wall quickly, but cannot find her bag where she says she left it. Before she can grow frustrated, Hunter returns with a large lunch bag of food in one hand, and a small leather purse in the other.

My heart swells in my chest as he hands the handbag to his mom and kisses the top of her head. "Let's go," he says, ushering her out the door.

The sun is setting on the horizon by the time the plane touches down in at Kennedy International Airport. I used to think the oranges, pinks and purples of the sun setting over the city skyline was the most gorgeous thing in the world. But after seeing the same pastels streaking the sky over an endless empty field... the view seems kind of crowded and underwhelming.