[Chapter Eleven] Addie

Start from the beginning

“Over my dead body, she’s already struggling enough and you and your worthless son don’t need to make it even worse than you have.” She got very defensive of me.

“I’m not here for Than, I’m here for Addison.” He put his hands up in surrender

“Why?” I asked and stepped forward

“Because I like you Addison and you didn’t deserve what happened to you.”

“Nice try buddy but.”

“It’s okay.” I interrupted her and looked at him, he was never cruel to me and I don’t even think he knew what was going on. Than did everything he could to keep it from him.

“I hear no one will take your case.” He said and I nodded

“No, they don’t want to go against you or my parents.”

“Against me?” he asked confused

“Yeah since I’m pressing charges against your son.” I said like it was obvious

“Sweetheart I don’t know what you’ve heard but I’m no one’s lawyer.” He said and I tilted my head to the side and studied him like it would magically make me understand

“He’s your son.” I said

“And I told him I would defend him if he was innocent.”

“What did he say?” I asked

“That he loved you and would never hurt you. That you cheated on him and he was angry.” I scoffed

“If you really believe that then-”

“Can we talk in private?” he asked and I looked at them and nodded

“I’ll scream if I need you.” they protested but eventually went inside and I followed him over to the fence. He wasn’t’ wearing a suit just jeans and a sweater and we sat side by side on the fence

“I told him that if he did those things I wouldn’t defend him, he told me he didn’t do it but I needed to hear it from you. I needed to ask you and see your face when I did.”

“You think I’m lying?” I asked

“Did he hurt you Addison?” he asked me and I nodded

“Yes.” I told him

“Did he,” he paused and sighed “Did my son ra pe you?” he asked me and I nodded as I tried not to cry, it was such a hard word to handle.

“Yes, him and his friends.” I sniffled and he sighed

“And he really, cut you?” It was hard for me to handle but it was hard for him too, he didn’t want to believe that his son could really do these things.

“Yes.” I whispered and he looked at me and I finally brought myself to look at him and he looked so broken.

“I believe you.” he told me and I sighed in relief

“At least someone does.”

“If you’ll have me I would like to be your lawyer. Just because he’s my son doesn’t mean he’s above the law and it doesn’t mean that the consequences don’t apply to him.”

“Are you serious?” I asked shocked and he nodded

“I am. You’ve always been a sweet girl and I would have loved you as my daughter-in-law. I’ve read the report you filed and none of them deserve to get away with it.”

“I pressed charges but nothing has really been filed for court, I know my parents want me to finds a lawyer so they can pick a jury as soon as possible.”

“Well you have a lawyer and I understand if you want to sign papers before telling me anything, I brought them in case and you just need to read through them with your Aunt and Uncle and then give me a call. I’m here for the next week and we can discuss what charges to file.”

I followed him over to his car and he brought out a stack of papers and handed them to me. I saw Liam out of the corner of my eye and we made eye contact. He looked at me confused and I broke eye contact and focused back on him

“Is that Liam?” he asked and I looked at him with wide eyes

“How did you know?” I asked

“Than said you cheated on him with a kid named Liam, I figured by the way he looked at you that it was him.”

“I didn’t cheat on him. I threw the ring at him and told him to go to hell.”

“I didn’t say you did, it was what Than said. Does he know?” he asked me and I shook my head

“No, Than came with my parents and I was too scared to stay, Liam thinks I lied to him and he hates me now. I guess it doesn’t matter, no one wants to date a girl with a ra pe story.” it was painful to say but true.

“Sweetheart I only just saw him and I can tell you that boy is very much in love with the girl he’s still staring at. Read that over and if you have any questions call me and we can start working on the trial. They aren’t going to plead out and I can tell you this will go to trial.”

“What if I lose?” I asked

“It’s not going to be easy, your parents are good at what they do but I’m better. With ra pe cases identity is supposed to be confidential but I wouldn’t count on that with a high profile case like this, it’s going to be big news back home and you need to be ready to face that.”

“I have my family.”

“Yes you do. I hope to hear from you soon.” He gave me a hug and then he left. I always liked his dad and I guess I was right, he didn’t know.

“Are you okay?” Auntie asked and I nodded

“He needed to hear the truth about Than from me.” I told her

“You didn’t tell him anything he could use against you, did you?” she asked worried

“He’s not Than’s lawyer. All he asked was if he did those things to me and he said he believed me. He wants to be my lawyer. He said to look over these and to call him.”

“He didn’t ask any details?” she asked skeptical and I shook my head

“No. He said he understood that I needed to sign the papers first before I told him anything. Nathan was always kind to me; I honestly don’t think he knew. Than always made sure he didn’t know anything.” I told her

“So he’s not defending his son?” she asked

“No, he said he wouldn’t get his son off for what he did to me.”

“Good man.” She said and I couldn’t help but laugh, not too long ago she was ready to rip his throat out.

“So we need to look over these and then give him a call. He’s here for a week and he said we would talk and he would file charges.”

“You ready for that?” she asked me as we walked inside

“Not at all but I’m never going to be ready so I guess now is as good a time as any.” As soon as I signed these things would never be the same, It would begin the endless amount of times I had to tell them what happened, the police didn’t need all the details really, just to know what to file but I would have to tell, in detail about everything to the man who did it’s father.

“You can do this.” Auntie told me. Her and Uncle Ethan sat down with me and we went over the pages time and time again making sure everything was good and then I signed them taking the first step into trying to get my life back.

I had a lawyer and it was getting more real that this would be going to trial soon.

So who expected that? Than's dad being her lawyer