Oh, no why did I say that? She thought to herself not daring to look at Jesse who was turning to look at her, he’s going to think I’m a slut.

            “It’s not mine either,” he said bitterly, she must have kissed Nicky, “I’d rather not talk about it.”

            “Okay,” Kayla said, wishing the ground would just swallow her up, “So, nice weather we’re having.”

            Jesse looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

            “Yeah,” he said slowly, “Looks like it’s going to rain at night.”

            Kayla nodded her head and pursed her mouth shut. Just shut up until you reach home, Kayla, she told herself; stop putting your foot in your mouth!

            She leant her head back on the seat and closed her eyes, pretending to go to sleep. Jesse looked at her, she looks so innocent when she’s asleep, he thought, as he smiled. He closed his eyes and tried to go to sleep too, and as the bus lurched forward he leant to his left and nestled his head on Kayla’s shoulder.

            Kayla’s eyes fluttered open as she felt Jesse’s head on her shoulder. She turned to look at him, but he seemed to be fast asleep. She has no heart to push his head away. Smiling to herself, she leant her head on his and fell asleep too.

            As they alighted the bus at Kayla’s hometown, Jesse looked around the station strangely. He was surprised to see no skyscrapers and tall buildings around. He has been living in the city since he was a kid, and this is his first time stepping in a small town.

            “Is everything okay?” Kayla asked Jesse who was looking around in surprise.

            “Yeah,” he said, smiling at Kayla, “I’ve never been to a small town before.”

            “Well then, welcome to my hometown,” Kayla said, smiling as she led the way to the car park, “My parents will be waiting for us.”

            “Okay,” he said, following her.

            “Oh yeah, Mr. McCartney,” Kayla said, “I think I need to change your name, in case my parents recognize the name Jesse.”

            “Oh, why don’t you call me Jay then,” Jesse said, “No one’s going to know?”

            “Okay, Jay it is,” Kayla said, as she noticed her father’s car. She walked towards it as her parents came out and hugged her.

            “Kayla!” her mother said, beaming, “It’s been a long time.”

            “I miss you mom,” Kayla said, hugging her mother and then her father. Her parents then turned to look at Jesse.