Chapter 10

The Golden Lotus Club was an exclusive club located in the middle of the city. It was owned by one of the richest man in the world and to enter the club, one has to be walking with the famous people on earth. Kayla felt blessed to get the chance to enter the club. If it had not been for working with Benny, she would never get a chance like this. But she needs to stay grounded. She knew that this is a superficial way of living, and as she walked in the club that was already full with people that Nicky had invited, she kept quiet, mainly observing the people dancing around her.

            Benny walked to a table, as Rachel and Kayla followed. Jesse had already arrived earlier, sitting at the table, watching people dancing, and his head was moving to the beat. Kayla took a seat on the opposite of him, careful so as to not look at him, lest he thinks she’d stalk him.

            “Hey there, don’t you look beautiful today?” Nicky exclaimed, sitting down beside Kayla as she smiled bashfully.

            “Thank you, Mr. Nicky,” Kayla replied, softly, as Jesse stared at her. Why is she smiling that way to Nicky?

            “Didn’t I tell you not to call me Mr. Nicky?” Nicky said playfully as he placed his hand over the seat of her chair in a comfortable manner and started chatting. Jesse watched as Kayla grew nervous, while Nicky’s hand kept purposely sliding over her shoulders.

            “Oops, sorry again,” Nicky said, when his hand slid down the chair for the fifth time and hitting Kayla’s back. What is that jerk trying to do? Jesse thought furiously. He saw Kayla politely move forward in her seat, her face looking uncomfortable.

            “Let’s get something to drink?” Nicky suggested, looking at Kayla, “Do you want to come with me?”

            “I’ll come with you,” Jesse said quickly as Kayla looked at him in relief. He glared at her and got up, while Victoria was in midst of talking with Benny and Katherine. Kayla watched them leave and turned to look at Rachel, who was staring at her with mild amusement.

            “What?” Kayla asked Rachel, wiping her face consciously.

            “Is it just me, or is Nicky trying to flirt with you?” Rachel asked her.

            “What? NO!” Kayla said, “He is NOT trying to flirt with me!”

            “Say what you want,” Rachel said, “But I can see through it all.”

            “Whatever,” Kayla said as she got up, “I want to use the wash room.”

            She left Rachel who was smirking at her and pushed through the crowd towards the wash room, feeling stuffy with all the people around. She was not used to being in places with too many people around. She washed her hands and adjusted her hair, and sighed at her reflection. What it matters how I look like, she thought bitterly to herself, Jesse would still think of me as a nothing.

            As she walked out of the wash room, she heard Nicky’s voice chuckling behind a wall. She walked towards it, but stopped short when she heard Jesse’s voice talking to Nicky.

            “What were you trying to do to Kayla, Nicky?” Jesse asked, as Kayla sucked in her breath nervously. Jesse had noticed her tonight.

            “What was I doing?” Nicky asked, although he sounded like he knew what he was doing, “Come on, can’t a guy have some fun? That chick’s looking hot tonight.”