Chapter 12

Kayla walked slowly into Benny’s office, waiting for any security guards to throw her out for trespassing, but nothing happened. Will greeted her with a smile, and as she entered Benny’s office, he was busy on the phone. She sat on the table in front of him, nervously.

            Is he talking to Jesse? She thought nervously as he answered briefly. She twirled her pen nervously in her hand. As Benny hung up the phone, he looked at her seriously.

            “Is everything okay, Muffin?” he asked, looking at her hand nervously twirling her pen. She couldn’t say anything, so she just nodded her head silently, “Okay I’ve got some work for you to do.”

            “I still have my job?” Kayla blurted out, as Benny stared at her weirdly.

            “Yes,” he said slowly nodding his head, “Why would you not have your job?”

            “Err…it’s just that, I, nothing, never mind,” she stammered.

            “Okay,” Benny said, dismissing her nervousness with a flick of his hand, “anyway, I can’t leave the office today as I’m waiting for an important client to come in, so I need you to do something for me.”

            “No problem,” Kayla replied, feeling more enthusiastic knowing that she still has her job, “I’d do anything.”

            “I want you to go to Jesse’s house,” Benny started as Kayla’s face changed. Anything but that, she thought to herself. How is she going to face him after the other night? “I told him you’d be coming over to help him, so here are the keys.”

            “What am I supposed to do?” Kayla asked, catching the keys that Benny threw at her.

            “Jesse needs to go to his studio to record some songs, and his car has broken down,” Benny replied, “I told him I’d lend him my other car, so I want you to drive it to him, and then follow him to the studio. You need to be there on my behalf.”

            “Okay,” Kayla replied, nodding her head. Just be professional, she thought to herself. That’s not so hard. She got Jesse’s address from Benny and drove there with Benny’s black color BMW. She took the elevator up to the pent house, and stood in front of the door. Benny said that she could just enter and wait for Jesse, as he was not back yet, but she felt awkward. Swallowing her breath, Kayla turned the key and entered. She was mesmerized by his house; it was sophisticated and neatly arranged. There was not a speck of dust on any of the furniture.

            She walked around looking at every pictures and trophies. As she passed by the bedroom, she took a peek inside and saw that it was huge. Her eyes caught sight of a photo frame on the bed stand, and it made her curious to take a closer look. She walked in the bedroom and took the photo frame, studying it closely. It was a picture of Jesse McCartney, but when he was probably sixteen or seventeen. Beside him was a girl, around his age, who looked unfamiliar. She didn’t look like the celebrities around; she actually looked like a normal girl. Jesse did know a normal person then, but why does he behave like he hasn’t known what it was like to be normal? Kayla thought.