"Don't play. You know I'm no thief. " I said coolly, suppressing a laugh.

Chuuya scowled, and grudgingly let go. I rubbed my neck.

"You're feisty as ever." I said.
"And you're as inconsiderate as ever, just barging in without invitation." He snapped. "You're like Dazai. Just say what you're here for, and then get out. "

Oh, Chuuya. Same as ever. Even though he's proven again and again that he's really a big softie, he still keeps a tough act for his pride's sake. The fact that he let go of me so easily means he still likes me.

I sat down cross-legged on a crate of what I think is cocaine.
"Yeah... speaking of Dazai. Can I tell you something?"

Chuuya gave me a testing look, which was familiar on him. "What is it?"
"...I joined the Armed Detective Agency."

Chuuya sprung back, as if I'd grown another head.
"Armed Detectives?! Are you insane?!" He swiveled his head back and forth, like he expected them to jump out at any moment. "Dammit, I'll bet you brought them here too, you goddamn traito - "

"Oh, come on." I said, rolling my eyes. "I'm not selling you out. They don't know about our business relationship, and I wouldn't betray you for them. Calm down."

Chuuya stayed right where he was at, still looking like he expected Agency members to pop up behind a stack of meth.

"...That means you've met Dazai again, right?!" His face fell into his palm, and he flashed me a dirty look. "Filthy bastard. He hasn't killed himself yet, has he?"

"That's actually what I came here for. You were his partner for years, so you probably know him almost as well as Mori. There's a couple things I'd like to ask, and in return I can tell you why I wanted to know. I know that deep down you're worried about him."

"I'm not worried about that piece of shit!" he roared, scrambling up to me with the rage of a kitten that thinks he's a lion.

"Right." I scoffed. Chuuya recoiled, still glowering.

"Anyways, I came here because he burst into the office soaking wet after trying to jump in a river. I haven't seen him since we worked together before, and to hear that he adamantly tries to kill himself regularly is kind of unnerving. So I'm asking you about it."

He glared at me suspiciously, like he was trying to discern just how treacherous I was. Finally, he sighed and took at seat at the crate opposite of me, arms folded together.

"Well," He huffed. "I don't know who Dazai was before he joined the Port Mafia, but he was trained by Mori, when he was first coming into power. He had him under his wing, and taught him everything he knows. I'm positive that during his time in training, Dazai's life was hell. My best guess is he's the one who made Dazai the way he is."

A wave of guilt and fear washed over me.

Mori. That sadistic, ruthless bastard. I've met him several times, and I always left feeling like I'd been visited by the devil. He was the one who held me captive, who exploited me for my power because he feared any ability greater than his. Of course Dazai's life was hell. Mori has only one focus in mind ー victory. He wants to rule over everything, and his ruthlessness strikes fear within everyone in the Mafia. Quickly, things began to make sense.

"Did Dazai ever say anything abou ー no, of course he didn't." I muttered. "Working under Mori... no wonder."

"Mori's taught him strategy, game theory, and manipulation. Made him the shifty bastard he is today. He brought him up to be another version of him."