Chapter 4 ~ Finding the Truth

"Is it true?" Diana ran into my room later that night. "Are you and Alpha Weber going to be mates?" I closed my door and sat down on my bed before nodding. "What? Why? Lilliana I thought that you didn't want a mate?"

"I don't."

"Oh so really this is just because he's good looking? Or an Alpha? Trying to get in his good graces?" Disgust filled her words and each one was like a slap to my heart. How could my best friend, the girl who's like my sister, think this of me? "He is going to take over the pack. Do you want to led it so badly that you'd sleep with him to do it? You really aren't who I thought you were."

I stood up as tears burned at my eyes, "I'm doing this because it's what's best for the pack. If I had a choice I'd never have to even think about doing this. I'd never have to do that to our true mates because everything about this makes my stomach churn. The thought of sleeping with him, a man I barely know, of producing a heir, makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. And you aren't who I thought you were, Diana. Because I would never think that of you."

Guilt filled her eyes, "Lilly, I-"

"Don't bother." I ran out of the room and into the forest shifting mid-stride to shift into my white wolf. Pain washed over me at my best friend's betrayal. How could she think this is what I want? This mating? I don't what a true mate, why would I want a fake one?

I let out a pained howl and just ran.

§•§•§•§•§

I lost track of time as I ran but when I finally made it back to the edge of the forest to go home it was still dark. I found Diana sitting right outside the door. As soon as she saw me she started crying and threw her arms arm my neck. "I'm so, so, so majorly sorry! I'm a bitch. I am the biggest bitch in the history of bitches and I don't deserve your friendship. I'm so sorry! I was just upset because of your dad just giving away our pack. And when I found out all I could think was 'oh my Goddess'. And I'm sorry, so sorry! I love you. And I didn't mean any of what I said. I'm sorry. Did I mean how big of a bitch I am? I'm wicked sorry, Lilly!"

I think she may be sorry. I whined and indicated I wanted to go inside. Diana instantly opened the door and we went up to my room closing the door behind us. As soon as I shifted Diana was all over me and hugging me, telling me she's sorry. "Uh, Di-Di, I love you. But I'm nude." She pulled away blushing and looked down at my body realizing it's true. "Hey! Quit checking me out! I don't love you like that!"

She burst into watery laughs, "I'm so damn sorry, Lilly! Please forgive me. Your my sister, please don't hate me."

"I forgive you," I said got into pajamas. Then I sat on the bed and burst into my own tears. "I'm scared Di-Di. This entire thing, I'm fucking terrified right now. Like that pee you pants, your heart beating so fast you'll die, terrified."

She sat next to me and hugged me, "It'll be okay, Lilly. You can do this."

"What if one of us meets our true mate, though? What then? This won't end well."

"Whatever happens, we stick with each other. Sisters."

I nodded and hugged her. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Di-Di." Everyone should have the best friend who your family. And you stick together no matter what. Di-Di is mine. I can't do this without her.

§•§•§•§•§

Diana slept over that night. The next day we never left my room. Both of us just trying to wrap our minds around the fact that I was going to be mated to a man who wasn't my true mate. Like every nightmare I had. A mate. Not even my true mate. I guess that's what's really getting me. I'd always thought it's my true mate I was scared to find. But this is so, so much worse. I could never have prepared myself for this. But I won't run. This is what's best for my pack. So I'll do what I've always done when I didn't like what was best for the pack. I'll push down my feelings and continue saving up for the thirty years of therapy in my future. 

As far as plans go it's probably not the most orthodox one, but you know, do what you gotta do. I took a deep breath and looked at my reflection. Long elegant black dress. Sleeveless. Pair with black heels and a expensive looking black gem necklace and earrings that dangle. Why am I so dressed up? Because tonight well tell the pack about the mating between Alpha Weber and me. 

"You ready?" I turned around and looked at Diana in a stunning red dress.

I let out a shaky breath and answered, "I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

She took my hand and squeezed this, "You can do this, Lilly."

"I have no choice. My duty is to do what's best for the pack."

She hugged me tightly. "You'll be the best Luna there is."

Because of what I'm about to do? I'll be the worst Luna ever.

§•§•§•§•§

Alpha Weber met me at the door and offered his arm. I push my emotions down into a box and placed my hand on his arm. He looks nice in a tux. But I can't help the fear that goes through my veins when I see him. Calm. No emotions. This is what's best for the pack. You have to protect them. Them before yourself. An Alpha Female must have nothing, she must give everything to her pack. Even her happiness.

We made our on the the stage in a haze. Then my dad and Alpha Weber talked. And I spoke. Everything blurred. The pack was upset. They didn't not want their next Luna to be forced into a mating. But they didn't want no one from our pack leading. This is the only way. 

Alpha Weber and I were soon the only ones on stage and he was speaking. I spotting my parents near the door. Mom had silent tears rolling down her face. And Dad look 50 years older. They don't want this. 'I can do this, Father,' I sent through our link.

'I know. But you shouldn't have to. You should be with your true mate. I'm proud of you.'

If he only knew that I didn't want a true mate either. He'd be disappointed. He'd disown me. Because a female is useless without a mate. I'm useless without a mate. This is better in a way. I won't have to see the look of disgust on his face if he found out I didn't want my true mate. I feel bad for Alpha Weber. He's not like me. I'm terrified of finding my true mate. He was probably looking for her. And now he's giving her up to be stuck with me.

§•§•§•§•§

After the announcement I left the party, because everything has a party with werewolves, I went up to my room and sat at my widow seat with the window wide open. "Care for some company?"

I looked over my shoulder to see Alpha Weber. "There is a party downstairs. You should go. It is in your honor."

"Our honor," he sat down on my bed. "You don't want this."

"Do you?" I asked him. "Do you really want to have an arranged mating?"

"I want to avoid war. And this is the only way. What about you? No wolf would do this without reason."

"I have a reason," I whispered more to myself as I looked at the night forest. "We all have our reasons."

"Yeah." He got up and stood next to. "I guess we do." He put his hand on my bare shoulder and that's when I felt them. The sparks. His breath rushed out in one whispered word. "Mate."