Chapter 1 ~ Meet and Greet

I never wanted a mate. This is where my story begins. I knew that I would have to have a mate, however. Before I suppose I should explain so maybe you might understand. I am a, for lack of a better word, werewolf. We call ourselves wolves, we live in packs, most of us. There are a few, those who have been force or choose to live alone as a Rogue, never really having a home, forced to bear the secret of our kind alone. As with wolves we have an order to our packs. The Alpha, our leader, any command given by the Alpha must be followed and in return the Alpha protects the pack from danger and gives them a home, a family. Our second command is known as the Beta, our third is the Theta. The Alpha female is known as the Luna, meaning moon.

Humans have this obsession with soul mates but for us they are real. Every wolf has a mate, the person that they are supposed to be with. We have no choice in the matter. I envy humans for that. The ability to choose whom they spend their life with.

I am the Alpha’s daughter, though. I can’t not lead the pack alone because I am a female. The only way I will inherit the pack is when I find my mate. It’s my duty. The problem is I don’t want to. This is where my story begins.

My name is Liliana Granner, I am almost 19 and at the moment my relationship status is without mate. “You must find a mate, Liliana, it is your duty to the pack.” That’s the lesson my father has been drilling into my head since the day I could talk. Every time he told me this I wanted to ask about my duty to myself but I know the answer. The pack shall always come first.

It isn’t all bad. I love shifting into my wolf, it’s freeing to run in the forest while hearing and smelling and seeing everything. The heightened senses are a bonus and so is the speed and strength. The healing, we heal so much faster because in order to shift our bones must break and mend as our bodies change from human to wolf.

But there are also the parties. The first sure sign of your mate is the sparks. From what I know, when mates tough they feel sparks but it must be skin to skin contact. You won’t feel the first spark through clothing. It’s that first touch that forms the bond between mates.

“Liliana,” my mother called up.

I turned from my window where I’d been watching as they set up everything for tonight’s party. The other Alpha’s are coming tonight. Our pack, the Light Moon pack, is hosting the meeting for our neighboring pack’s new Alpha. The last Alpha of the Water Rock and my father were on bad terms. Alpha Rick Weber wife died about a month ago passing on the title to his son. My parents hope that with the pack being handed to Alpha Zachary Weber they can mend the rift between our two packs. They do not want a war, I’m not sure the same can be said for them through. “Sweetie?”

“Yes?” I answered.

“Diana is here!”

Awesome. Diana McCaw is my best, and to be honest, only friend. It isn’t easy being the Alpha’s daughter. My mate will be the future Alpha of the pack. Most of the unmated males want to be my mate and that doesn’t put me in good graces with the female population. Diana, being the only child of the Beta, is the only one who can understand my situation because she is in basically the same boat. We grew up together. We both graduated high school early nearly two years ago together.