Chapter 2- ...To Night Vale

((A/N: Now as there is no 'canon' appearance of Cecil and different artist draw him in different ways I'm going to clarify now that Cecil in this story will look like 'videntefernandez' version of him. Go check them out I love their art and I think you will too.))

[EDITED]

Laylah stood watching the line where heaven touched the earth. Her wide eyes witnessed the resounding glowing collision. Sparks lit the sky and blood poured, as the glory of paradise descended further behind the seam of the world. Laylah felt small as she glanced over her shoulder and saw her shadow slowly shrinking towards her feet. She looked back to the line, only a few bright streaks remained to signal heaven's passing. The sun had begun to set once again, but with an almost empty gas tank, she pushed her bike the rest of the way into the town. After securing her bike she began to walk around a little before a man walked up to her. "I'm Peter John- ya know the farmer. Are you lost?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks for asking though."

She responded in a lie. Honestly, she did need some help, but right now she couldn't trust anyone unless she wanted to be dragged back to her old home. If Laylah's thoughts were visible they would have been an inverse explosion, crazy chaotic turns and twists of light all coming together to just one idea, to just one word. Different. Yet her face remained in a calm expression the entire time as she looked around the average-sized town. She continued to walk around town before she walked into Big Rico's to hopefully get something to eat. Now to be honest as she was walking around town, it seemed relatively average with the occasional strange encounter, but this official sold her that this town was strange, she had gotten a bowl full of cheese and tomato sauce, without any bread at all. Once she had finished she began to leave when she accidentally bumped into someone.

"Are you okay? You seem a little distracted." A smooth, deep voice asked. She looked up and saw a man with white hair as well as pure white eyes. He wore a purple striped button-up shirt as well a black tie, black pants and black shoes. Laylah gave a slight nod before moving around the man and out the doors. She quickly made her way down the street and was about to turn to walk down a side street until she heard fast approaching footsteps and a gentle hand fell on her shoulder. She turned around and looked up only to see the same man she had just walked into moments ago.

"You have cuts and bruises on your face, what happened?"

"Really, I'm okay, I just got into a bit of an accident. By the way, do you know anywhere I can stay for a bit? A hotel or something?"

"Sorry, there aren't any hotels, but how old are you? You can't be any older than 17 maybe 16..." He explained, almost directly after he finished his first sentence. She opened her mouth to talk but was cut off as he began to speak again.

"Oh! Maybe you can stay with me and my husband, Carlos"

"No I'm fine really I don't want to crash in. If there are no hotels can you at least tell me where the nearest gas station is? " She responded with uncertainty in her voice. This was risky, that's for sure, what if her parents came looking for her? What if when he, or his husband, went and ratted her out that she ran away? The risks were just too high.

"No, No It's okay! I'm sure Carlos won't mind besides it's not safe to travel at night especially alone. I'm Cecil, by the way, I might also be able to even hire you as an intern at the radio station, where I work" Cecil exclaimed. He grabbed on to Laylah's hand and began leading her towards his house as he began to tell her more about Night Vale. Seeing no other choice, and finding Cecil's ramblings funny as hell, she went along with him yet she could help but crack a small smile it had been so long since she had seen someone with so much positivity. As they were approaching what Laylah assumed to be Cecil's house Cecil suddenly turned around and looked at Laylah.

"I just realized I never asked you what your name was"

Laylah hesitated. Was she really going to tell a stranger her name? She thought for a moment. Despite not knowing her, Cecil had offered her a home and possible job and he hadn't pressed on about her injuries. 

"Laylah. My name is Laylah" Cecil smiled and finished the trek up to his home. He entered the house with Laylah just behind him, looking around quietly, then re-adjusting her backpack. "Where's your husband?" she asked in a meek tone, not wanting to overstep her boundaries or sound shady. He shrugged then took a deep breath.

"CARLOS, IM HOME, AND I BROUGHT SOMEONE WITH ME!" Cecil yelled, causing her to inwardly flinch a little. Soon another man came walking down one of the hallways and towards the duo. His dark brown hair was tied up in a small bun allowing Laylah to see his whole face. He wore a lab coat which was a little strange as he didn't seem to be working. Laylah looked over the pair as they embraced each other. It was different, watching a couple be so friendly, and not arguing or being at each other's throat.

"Cecil, who's this? Is there a reason that you brought her with you?" Carlos asked, giving her a once over and as if he was trying to find something.

"Can we talk about something, in private?" Cecil asked, gesturing Carlos to a nearby empty room. Carlos nodded and walked swiftly into the room, Cecil following him happily but not before turning around and giving Laylah a smile, thumbs up and gestured for her to sit down. Laylah slowly sat down on the couch and looked around the room as she waited for their return and meanwhile in the other room Cecil and Carlos were sat on the bed and deep in conversation.

"Who is she? And why does she have cuts and bruises all over her face?" Carlos asked in a concerned voice. Cecil chuckled and shook his head as he wrapped his arms around his neck.

"She told me that her name is Laylah, and she said that she has cuts and bruises on her was because of an accident, but she didn't tell me what kind of accident. Carlos, she's not old enough to live on her own. Plus, you know how we've been talking about adopting a child, it's perfect! She could be our kid. Just imagine Carlos." he said, looking him in the eye hopefully. Carlos shook his head slightly.

"You want to adopt her? Cecil I..."

Carlos froze mid-sentence as he looked in Cecil's eyes. Despite the lack of pupils, he could still see that they were almost shimmering with hope and want. Cecil grasped one of his husband's hands tightly.

"Carlos, please? If you had seen the look on her face when she bumped into me. Even though I didn't originally get a good look at her I knew she was terrified. There's more to her, she's no interloper like the rest of them. I know she's special I just know it. Carlos... please we need to adopt her" Carlos gave out a sigh which turned to into a chuckle, he shook his head slightly at his husband's antics.

"I can't believe that I'm letting you convince me of this. Okay, we'll adopt her, she doesn't seem like a bad kid, just banged up but I still want to know how she got hurt." He mused. Cecil gave a quiet cheer, and then promptly grabbed Carlos' hand and pulled him out to the living room where Laylah was waiting. She looked up from where she sat.

"We have good news..."