"It's been so long since we've gotten one like you here. Was starting to think there were no more of ya' left."

"People have been here before?"

"People yes," Toady said, "but not Live Ones like you."

"What does that mean?" I sniffed and wiped my nose.

"Nothing, at the moment," Toady said. "You're still quite young."

"How do I get out of here?" I asked.

Toady thought for a minute, looking over the area before coming to a decision.

"Ya' follow the trail," Toady said, pointing. It was nothing more than trees, dense underbrush, and the occasional fallen log.

"And where do I find the trail?" My shoulders slumped and my breath hitched. Toady paused and looked at me, a frown pulling his nearly invisible lips downward.

"Now this is very strange." He leaned forward, nose inches from mine. "Ya' can't see it, can ya'?" he asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Raising one hand, gnarled fingers ghosted over my cheek. I flinched and he brought them up, rubbing his fingertips together.

"You're awful leaky for a monster hunter, ain't ya'?"

I wiped at the tears and scowled at Toady.

"How am I supposed to find anything in this freakish place? It should be midmorning, but it's dark. None of these trees belong in this area. Stop talking in riddles and show me how to get out of the woods."

Toady's face split into a broad grin so wide wrinkles gathered around the edge of his mouth and lined up along his cheeks.

"Oh! Well, I can help ya' there. It would be an honor." Toady nodded with the enthusiasm of an ugly bobble headed toy.

"Come on, I'll be showin' ya' the way, Little Friend."

He stood, towering over me like the trees of the forest. He snatched up my backpack again before taking my hand, skin like old paper left out in the sun too long. The branch clattered to the ground behind me.

He started walking, dragging me along, long strides eating up forest floor. He was strong too. No matter how hard I tugged, Toady did not notice. His fast pace and firm grip forced me to jog along beside him.

We barreled through trees and thick shrubbery. Our footsteps left clean marks in the moss-covered floor, Toady's wide and sure, mine scattered drag marks.

A moon, big, bright, and closer than I had ever seen, shone white light down through the canopy, giving the Dead Woods an unearthly glow.

We stopped at came to a fork in the path. One path headed right, disappearing into a nearly black section of the woods. It wound its way around trees and rocks, but always turning back towards the right no matter how twisted it became. The other turned left, then banked back towards where I'd been resting. It was wide, smooth, and easy to follow. Toady let go of my hand and bowed with a wide sweep of spindly arms.

"Ya' just take this path," Toady said, nodding toward the dark, twisty one. "Stay on it, and it'll take ya' right to the center of the Dead Woods. That's where the Mayor's city is, and after it, the Archives. That's where ya' want to go."

"What are the Archives?"

His look turned serious and he crouched down so that we were eye to eye. The tops of his knees nearly level with the top of his head.

"It's a place for ones like you, filled with wondrous things not found in the world of the living. I think ya' would like it there."

I glanced at the two paths then back at my shoes. Mud caked the sides and smeared over the toe. My laces remained tied, despite the leaves and tiny twigs planted in between.