Chapter Six

"How big is this place?" I asked, wiping up bits of crumb from the table into a small bowel.

The whole house smelled of bunt vegetables. In the fireplace a lump of blackened broccoli stems disintegrated into coals. Toasting vegetables over fire was a fail, but Toady had found the process fascinating, so we sacrificed a head of broccoli to science.

Toady stacked clean plates on the counter, arranging them in perfect alignment. He took the small bowel and dumped the crumbs into a bucket of compost.

"It is as big as it needs to be."

"Well, if people used to come here, where did they go?"

"The Live Ones had their own places. We were not allowed there," Toady said.

"That doesn't sound very nice." I scrunched my nose and tapped my fingers against the table. I needed to map each corner of this place, draw each plant and curved path. There was so much to learn and explore so many secrets to discover. Toady only held part of the answers. I needed them all.

"Not all of the Dead Woods residences are as welcoming as Ol'Toady."

"What else is out there?" I sat up and peeked out the window. Trees and moss waved in the misty rain.

"All of the world's dead that haven't moved beyond," Toady said. "Some like it here and stay, Dead Ones like me, who forgot who they were and are stuck. Then there are bad ones who wish harm. It's why the Keepers and Guardians came here. The Dead Woods helped keep their secrets and helped them keep the world safe."

"What are Guardians and Keepers?"

"Guardians and Keepers are special Live Ones. One protects the living and the other takes care of the dead," Toady said.

"What happened to them?"

"I don't know," Toady said. "Things changed, the Mayor rose up, the Black-Eyed Ones grew in numbers, and they just stopped coming. Maybe they all took a wrong turn, like you. This part of the Dead Woods has always preyed on those it thinks won't be missed. Ol'Toady's never been able to figure out the why."

"How'd you get here?"

Toady shrugged. "I don't remember."

"And the Black-Eyed Ones?" I asked, leaning forward.

Toady grimaced and shivered. "Those are the worst. They like to mimic Live Ones, but can never get it right. They're so torn apart they're just an echo of what they used to be." One spindly finger tapped my nose. "Ya' need to stay far from the Black-Eyed Ones. They are tricky and can make ya' do things ya' normally wouldn't."

"What if I see one here?" I shivered and rubbed my arms.

Toady placed another log onto the fire. "Ya' stick close to Ol'Toady and let me handle the vile things. I'll protect ya'." He shook his head and brightened. "But enough of the bad things. Before we go to the Archives, I can show ya' some secrets. There are no bad ones near here."

"Awesome." I jumped up, bouncing on my toes. Mud flaked off my shoes, and muscles warmed, the ice from before melting away. Finally, I'd get to have a real adventure.

"Stay close to Ol'Toady," he said, opening the door. "We don't want the Dead Woods tricking ya' again."

Cold air shoved through the warmth and I shivered. "Okay." I stuffed my hands into my pockets and followed in his wake.

The path curved right, the trees familiar acquaintances. Shadows lurked behind trunks and rocks. A rain washed breeze tangled moss and chilled the air.