Chapter 1 - Meeting the Darkness

Thank you Anoniem024 for the beautiful cover.

Elaina

We live in a world in which people are taken for granted. As much as I hate to admit this, it's true. It's true because I am one of those many humans who have taken something and someone for granted.

I'm not ashamed.

I'm a woman with many opinions but isn't that everyone nowadays. You get opinions even if you don't need any. Just like how I never asked my mother's when I had my very first boyfriend. Obviously, I regretted it later but did I need it? No.

My birth name is Elaina, but for the past five years I have been living off on Cheryl. The name I'm supposed to have. The name that got me where I am today. It got me a career that I never dreamed of having.

It's been years and that name has helped me through my darkest times. That name helped me escape him.

I remember my fear. My fear that didn't let me sleep at night. It kept me up until I realized that it was morning. Unfortunately, that's the one thing that stayed with me to this day.

"Are you ready?" my manager, Paul, came in my room.

"Yeah, just one more outfit to go," I walked over to my closet.

"You know you don't have to do this, right? We can always find an alternative and forget about this idea. Millions of people are ready to help you, Elaina."

Here's something about Paul. He has been by my side since I was eighteen and he was twenty-eight. He has been a great father figure that has helped me through multiple obstacles. Even the deadliest ones.

"I don't need anybody's help, Paul. I'm fine. All I'm doing is going on a trip that could possibly put my life in danger and I could just die because of it. What's the worst that could happen?"

I was not trying to be sarcastic, but I couldn't help myself. In the end, it was I who made this plan. I will be the only one finishing it. It took me, us, too long to get out of the mess someone else created in the first place. We were not going down without a fight.

Paul stared at me with an unknown expression I always avoided. "Don't you need to go and shave your bald head, even more, move along pal."

"I am not bald, women. I am just too old to have my flawless hair again," He did an imaginary hair flip just to prove me wrong.

Flawless? Yeah, okay.

"Anyways, hurry up. The cab will be leaving soon. We are suppose to get there by seven o'clock, it's already six forty-five, women."

I rolled my eyes and just focused on packing my shit. Fuck, I was not ready. I am not ready to start yet another year without feeling his presence, seeing his face.

For years now, I have trained myself to feel a certain way, look a certain way. But now, when I am this damn close to finally moving on. I just refuse to let myself be weak once again. The way I was, will never be the way I am now.

"Good things happen to those who wait," quoted some unknown person. I have been waiting for quite a while now. I am still waiting for my good thing to appear in my life, and make me understand the real meaning of life. How to love life. How to care for it.