Chapter Fourteen

Kirstin had been so distraught that Alana had to explain to Lachlan what little she knew of the occurrence between Kirstin and Graham. Without doubt, Kirstin knew that Lachlan would eventually try to pry more information out of her, so it was no surprise when he showed up at the door of her bedroom. He did not knock before entering, as her door was slightly left ajar, and he could see his betrothed sitting on the side of her bed. She had obviously been sobbing but had calmed down because Kirstin was left wiping the tears away from her eyes.

Lachlan said nothing at first, as he took a seat next to her. He put a hand over hers and placed it in his lap, stroking small designs into her palm. The motion seemed to calm her even more because her shoulders relaxed from their tense state, and she breathed out a relaxed sigh. Kirstin put her head against his shoulder, and then he finally spoke.

"Why did ye no' tell me of Graham before?" he asked calmly but Kirstin could tell he was angry by the slight resonance his tone held.

"I," she began but hesitated just briefly, "I did no' think much of it. I thought he was just another suitor until he made it clear that he was Laird of the Ruskin Clan."

"Mayhap ye should have told me of him?" Lachlan said, tensing.

Kirstin sat up to look him in the eye, "I told ye before, I did no' think much of him. I always shun him away when he talks to me. Lachlan," she said, realizing the odd timbre in his tone, "Ye donna think me of betraying ye?"

Lachlan shook his head, "No' in the way that your heart beats for another, but Kirstin," he squeezed her hand, "Ye need to tell me if something doesna seem right, and ye need to tell me if another man is being a nuisance to ye."

A guilty look spread over her face and she once again regretted not telling him about Graham sooner, "I apologize," she whispered, "I honestly did no' think it would get this bad."

"Aye," he said, letting go of her hand to caress the side of her face, "but it has and now we must do something about him, and before he finds out whom yer parents are, too."

"Aye." Kirstin agreed, fearful for her parents now, "Mayhap I should write them a letter to explain everything that has happened in the past several weeks?"

"That would be a good idea," agreed Lachlan, "I will give ye some ink and paper."

Kirstin gave a small smile in response, as if to thank him for his kindness and understanding. Then, Lachlan placed his lips against hers leaving a light kiss that left her flushed.

"I will send someone for yer ink and paper, but for now, I must get back to my duties as laird." He said, standing up.

Kirstin watched him leave but before he had gotten the chance to open the door, she called out to him, "Will I see ye at dusk?"

"Aye," he assured her and flashing a grin, "I will come for ye myself."

His response only made Kirstin all the more flushed as he left.

v

Ma and Pa,

Both something great and terrible has happened. I have become betrothed to Laird Bateson, and though my dowry is small, he doesna care for his heart beats for me with such heaviness. I feel the same way towards him but no' as strongly yet. Though, I have no doubt that I will one day love him as much as he loves me.

I fear that I donna have much time to write, but all I can say is that I ken of our past and now our fate. Laird Ruskin, whom ye may ken as Graham, has found interest in me. This interest has now turned to mere hatred and has led to surprisingly possessive ways because of my betrothal to Laird Bateson. Ye must stay alert, for we are the Crofts, and if word gets out to Graham of who we are then he may ruin not just me, but the both of ye because of the deed ye did for the better of the Bateson Clan.