Chapter Four

Aaron's Point of View:

I wrapped Darby's cold hand in my warm ones. She was asleep again, and I had to pee but I couldn't bring myself to leave her.

She stirred in the bed, and I stood up, leaning over her and kissing the top of her head.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" I asked softly. She gave me a weak smile before rolling her head to the side and closing her eyes again, snuggling tight into the blankets.

"I'll be right back, love you," I told her and she mumbled something unintelligible, already half asleep.

I tip toed into the bathroom and softly shut the door behind me, quickly relieving my bladder and washing my hands.

I raised my head and looked at my reflection in the mirror. My hair was disheveled, my normal chin scruff was growing longer than I liked, and dark shadows circled beneath my eyes. I looked awful, but there was no way I was going to go home now. The longest I was willing to spend away from Darby right now was to take a shower.

I snapped back to reality and quickly dried my hands, wiping the remaining water on my pants and walking back into the dull hospital room.

Darby was already fast asleep again, and I leaned over and kissed her head gently, careful not to wake her up.

As my lips made contact with her forehead, I felt the heat radiating from skin. I stood up straight, and placed my hand on her forehead and cheeks.

"Darby," I said softly, stroking her cheek.

"Darby," I repeated, giving her arm a light shake.

"Darby. Come on, wake up," I said louder, shaking her arm harder. My breathing grew more rapid.

"Darby! Dar, come on!" I pleaded, my voice growing louder and higher pitched.

A nurse ran into the room, and gently pushed my chest to move me out of the way, before placing a hand on Darby's head.

Suddenly the monitor Darby was attached to started beeping quickly and loudly. Several other nurses rushed into the room.

"What's wrong with her?" I cried. Tears were streaming down my face, and I tried to shove my way through the group of nurses to get to Darby.

"What's happening?" I yelled as a nurse gently shoved me back, his hand on my shoulder, the other on my chest. He guided me out of the door and shutting it behind me, leaving me to stand in the hallway and watch as doctors came running into the room, working hurriedly on Darby.

After what seemed like an eternity, Dr. Montgomery came out of the room, his facial expression neutral.

"Is she okay? What happened?" I asked immediately.

"Darby is stable for now, but she developed an infection..." he paused and gave me a weary look.

"I'm sorry Mr. Roberts, but you're listed as her proxy in all of her medical records, and I'm afraid, if we don't amputate now, she won't make it through the night. I'm sorry to spring this on you so fast, but you need to make a decision now so we can get her into surgery."

He placed his hand on my shoulder, but my head was spinning.

Amputate? How could I ever do that to her? It would be taking away everything she's ever loved and worked for. She would never forgive me.

But I would never forgive myself for letting her die.

"Amputate the leg," I murmured quietly. The words tasted foreign in my mouth. Bitter. Unreal.