Pausing, I met the gazes of different men around the room. Some I knew. Some I didn't. As expected, some were still incredibly outraged, but to my amazement, some actually seemed thoughtful.

Returning my attention to the king, I continued.

"I am not asking to be allowed to make any decisions, Sire. Only that I be allowed to be part of any conversation that concerns my welfare and my future."

I lowered my eyes again, indicating that I was finished, and it was another long, distressing moment of silence while the king deliberated my words.

"Not an entirely unreasonable request," he finally said, making me glance up surprised. I wasn't completely sure what I expected him to say. Particularly given that I hadn't actually planned any of this, but I wouldn't have guessed that he'd be so agreeable.

He was much too composed to allow it, but I could tell he wanted to smile at my reaction.

"I take it that you wish to add something to the current discussion?" he asked.

"Yes, Sire." I smiled in gratitude.

"Then, by all means." He gestured for me to begin.

I had to think again. How should I even go about this? I only knew what my point was going to be. I should have planned the words already...

Glancing around nervously, my gaze found Papa, Aunt Keira, and Uncle William. They all just seemed nervous for whatever I was about to do. I finally allowed myself to look at Alex and it was hard to pinpoint his exact emotions. If I had to guess they ranged from fear over what I was doing, to anger at being left out of the plan, to extreme curiosity.

Forcing my eyes away from Alex, I spied the man who still stood a few feet from my husband, looking just as angry and outraged as anyone because of my boldness. Suddenly, my plan was crystal clear. If I could get this odious man to say the words, it would be hard for anyone else to deny them. His comment about people wanting Alex dead hadn't been an idle one. He'd probably happily deliver the blow himself.

Raising my chin once again, I turned back to the king.

"Before I begin, I'd like it known that no one has any idea of what I'm about to say," I hedged. "I haven't discussed this with anyone. Not my husband or any one of the royal family. Not my father or my aunt. No one. If there are any repercussions, I bear them alone."

The king looked intrigued and I could practically feel the anger from my father and my aunt. Not to mention from Alex. I didn't even have to try to picture the expression on his face at this moment.

"I can't imagine that there would be any consequences for merely voicing an opinion," the king said cautiously. "What is it you'd like to say?"

"I..." I had to swallow the nervous lump in my throat. Here goes... "I'd like to ask Lord Houghton a few questions," I said, taking the king by surprise. "And I only ask that he answer them any way he wishes with no concern for my gender or my position."

"Certainly." Still looking mildly stunned by my request, the king gestured to the man, calling him over.

A moment later, I was staring up into the dark eyes of the irritated Lord Houghton.

"Your Highness." He grudgingly offered me a slight bow.

"Lord Houghton," I began. "You are one of the strongest proponents for this...solution of the prince remarrying," I said. "May I ask why?"

He looked stunned and offended that I'd asked, probably believing that I was attempting to trap him into some sort of treasonous statement.

"Please don't misunderstand," I said. "I do not ask out of offense or intent to have you misspeak. I would simply like to understand your reasoning. I will hold nothing you say at this time, against you."