Chapter 20

After a few hours my anger cooled and I decided to try to talk to Alex again. He must have calmed down by now, and he couldn't stay in his dressing room all night.

I went to the door that connected the bedroom to the dressing room and turned the knob, but nothing happened. He'd locked it.

My instinct was to bristle and just leave him alone, but this ridiculous fight needed to end.

"Alex?" I knocked on the door.

No answer. Did he fall asleep? There was a couch in there...

Sighing in annoyance, I put on my robe to try the other entrance.

Guards stood watch over all our doors at night, but it was still embarrassing to have them see me.

I attempted to push passed the one in front of Alex's dressing room, but he wouldn't move.

"I'm very sorry, Your Highness," he said when I looked at him incredulously. "The prince doesn't want to be disturbed."

"Don't be ridiculous," I said, irritated. "He didn't mean me."

Again I tried to push my way in, but the guard refused to let me.

"I apologize, My Lady. The prince was very specific."

Shocked, I stepped back and stared at him. Alex had specifically told him not to let me in? I knew he was mad, but I didn't think he'd ever refuse to see me.

Feeling angry and embarrassed, not to mention worried, I looked at the door, clenching my hands into fists.

I could try to order my way in, but the guards would never take my order over Alex's.

After a moment, I turned and went back to the bedroom, wondering how long he planned to close himself off from me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the morning the door to his dressing room was unlocked, but he was gone. When he was conspicously absent from breakfast again, I knew this day was going to be a repeat of the previous one.

After sitting with the queen to hear the people, rather than joining her in her parlor, I sent a note to Reed, asking him to meet me.

"Everything alright?" he asked dubiously when he arrived.

I gave him an apologetic smile. "I think you'd better go."

"Ah," he said, bobbing his head. He hadn't necessarily been expecting it, but he didn't seem too surprised either.

"I'm sorry," I said. "It's just..." I searched for an explanation that wouldn't be too personal.

"You don't have to explain," he said. "I thought this might be a bad idea. I didn't plan to stay like this, but when the king insisted..." He shrugged.

I nodded. He'd basically been backed into a corner.

"I'm sorry I've caused you trouble. That wasn't my intent."

"I know," I said. "But don't be sorry. I'm very glad I got to see you again. It's been so long. I'm glad you're doing so well."

He half smiled. "I suppose I'll cancel the business orders for the castle."

"Don't do that!" I said. "I don't want you losing business."

"Eh." He shrugged. "I'll be fine. And if it's going to be a problem..."

"It won't be," I said. "Alex and I will be alright. We're just going through something right now."

I really hope I wasn't lying. How would we be able to work this out if Alex wouldn't even see me?