Chapter 16 : The Decision

Note : Statements enclosed within '#' like '# statement #' are system messages or similar type of messages.

Proofread by Compass96

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joey went from one house to another and tried to help as many people as he could. Since him and his friends were already the saviours of the village, people trusted him and didn’t mind accepting his help. Who wouldn’t, when the help was free?

After helping with about 17 houses and for more than one and a half days in the game, the villagers had almost repaired the damage done by the bandits. Joey started walking towards the chief’s house when he received a system message.

#
Your help has increased your intimacy with the villagers. Your alliance’s help yesterday would have been in vain had you not helped the villagers repair their home. Even though the villagers were thankful to your alliance for rescuing them from the bandits, they were thinking that your alliance only wanted to fight the bandits and not actually help them.

Since you helped with the repairs, your alliance’s value points in this village is now 100.

This is the first time an alliance has received value points for a village. Congratulations!
#

Joey knew that something was amiss when they didn’t get a system message after defeating the bandits. This game rewarded every good deed. People didn’t know this because they didn’t try. This game was as close to reality as possible. In fact, in his opinion, this game was actually real. So, good deeds were remembered by even NPCs and they helped when needed.

Merchants knew this and tried to get closer to store owner NPCs but they didn’t know that if they got closer to everyone in a city or village, the NPCs would talk among themselves and the intimacy would increase even more.

Joey had thought of this very early in the game and tried it out to test it. As he expected, his hard work bore fruits. The discount that was 7% earlier in Nahur City, went up to 9% in a week after he had helped more NPCs of the city in that week.

Joey knew how to play this game. He didn’t have any doubts about his playing style. Confidently, he knocked on the chief’s house, hoping to talk to his wife for a minute and increase his intimacy thus earning extra benefits that could help his alliance.

Somnac’s wife opened the door and welcomed Joey inside of her house.

Joey went inside and sat on a wooden chair.

“I was wondering if there was anything I could help you with.”

“Ahh, that’s very sweet of you. I heard that you helped almost all the villagers with fixing their homes and now you even came to ask me. Luckily, though, our house wasn’t damaged, so we don’t need help, but thank you for asking.”

“Ahh, it’s good then that your house wasn’t damaged. By the way, how’s the chief doing?”

“He is still unconscious but he’ll be alright in about three days I guess. So, tell me, what are you guys actually here for?”

“Huh? I am sorry, I didn’t understand your question.”

“I am old but I am not a fool. I know that you adventurers don’t just come to the southern zone. And I also know that almost everyone dies on their way here. So, you are either running away from something or you people are just overconfident of your strength, though that’s not a bad thing considering how you guys did help us.”