Chapter 2

Dr. Alphys sat at her desk in the "known" laboratory. She was thinking about the recent events. Last night she finally got a good night sleep once in these terrible times since she knew, Dr. Gaster and her were closer to the solution of the main problem of monster kind that ever before. This happened in the secret laboratory almost no one knew about.

She stared at a poster of her favorite Anime, "Mew Mew Kissy Cutie", but her mind was somewhere else. The DETERMINATION... What would they be able to do with it? They could make monster's souls stay intact after death. Maybe they were even able to keep the monsters alive. Or maybe even make one more human soul by combining the DETERMINATION of the 6 human souls they already had! Then the monsters of the underground would finally be free. They could go to the surface and finally see the entire world again! Maybe the humans would finally accept them for what they are and live with them in peace! -

Alphys' thoughts were interrupted by someone with a metal sounding voice calling her name.

"Oh Alphys, Darling~", the voice was oh so familiar to her. She knew him from a little meeting they had about a year ago. A little ghost with a big dream.

"What is it Now, M-Mettaton?", she asked, just a little bit annoyed.

"I think it is time for a little POP QUIZ~!!" Suddenly the lab lights got dimmer and spot lights in all the colors you can imagine started blinking colorful dots in the walls and floor. A single spotlight pointed at Mettaton and Alphys as I they were on a stage about to a song to an imaginary audience.

"Mettaton, I don't have time for-"

"Psst. I am practicing for my first Live show tomorrow on tv~", he cooed. "So, Doctor Alphys! We have some questions for you today! Number one - oh, this is a good one - : When will Mettaton's new and improved body be finished~?"

"Mettaton, please. I am in the middle of sorting out something more important than your body..."

The spotlights disappeared and the lights of the lab turned normal again.

"But Darling, the last human just got to the end of the Waterfalls. They are getting better and better at surviving , and I know you know it! And you know what their next stop will be! 100 points! It's Hotland! We need some security here! And you are the one who designed the new body of mine to be a human-killing-machine! You can't deny it! I saw the blueprints for it!"

"You just want that body because it looks cool and not because you want to destroy humans. I know, that you don't bother about killing humans. You just want to entertain people. And anyway, there is n-no need to hurry. We have the royal g-guards everywhere and the humans, if any more are a-actually gonna fall down here, that fall WON'T get any further than the Waterfalls. We have the c-captain of the royal guard positioned right an the end. No human is going to get past her.", Alphys stated very certain.

"Oh please, as If that would happen. Some humans are very sly and slippery. They will get past her and run towards Hotland and then what? She is a god damn fish! And to my knowledge fish don't survive very long in hot environments! She will be boiled alive!"

The dear robot had a point. Undyne, the captain of the royal guard, is a fish. She would dry out before she would even get to Alphys' lab. And that is just across a bridge that separated the Waterfalls from Hotland.
That stupid robot.

"Okay, Fine. I will work on it later. But before that I have a meeting with Doctor Gaster." Alphys got up from her chair to leave, but a metal hand gently grasped hers and held her back.

"What can possibly be more important than a new security level for destroying humans?!"

Alphys tore her hand away. "If you r-really want to know, the meeting is about our further actions with the DETERMINATION."

"With What now?"

"Just something that you won't need since you will have such a dangerous new body for killing and dismembering and destroying humans!"

Alphys was clearly angry now. If there is something that would be able to break that stuttering rabbit toothed girl's face into a furious facade, it is people who wouldn't understand that some things are more important that others and that she would have to concentrate on the more important ones first.

Mettaton just stared at her in shock. He was completely silent.

"Sorry, Darling... I just don't want any more monsters to die, you know..." he lowered his "eyes" in apology and maybe a little bit of shame.

Alphys sighed, calming herself and adjusting her glasses. "I'm don't want that either. But we found out that something called DETERMINATION keeps human souls from disappearing when a human dies. And we are trying to do that with monster souls as well."

"That would be a similar thing..."

"That is t-true, Mettaton. Now... if you'll excuse me, I have to meet my colleague to talk about DETERMINATION. I will see you later."

And with that she left into another room of the normal white laboratory, leaving Mettaton standing next to her desk.