Chapter 1

The neon lamps on the ceiling flickered from time to time and buzzed quietly. They illuminated the gray hallways that lead to different rooms of a laboratory. The gray color was solid and very sterile looking. Only two shadows, one tall and one smaller, broke the peace.
They sprinted along the hallways towards the main room.

"A-Are you sure th-that this is a g-good idea, d-doctor?", stuttered the smaller monster. She was wearing small glasses and a white lab coat that buttons up on the side completely. It looked similar to a dress. She was carrying a box with test glasses and corks.
"If this experiment goes w-wrong... the soul would b-break and we'd be further away from our f-freedom once again and-"

"Quiet! I need to concentrate!" The tall monster, also wearing glasses and a white lab coat, which was flowing behind, carried a large canister. From behind, the girl couldn't see, what it carried, but she knew exactly what it was.

The canister was a glass cylinder with the top and bottom made of steel. This particular canister glowed a deep, dark blue. It carried a blue heart, that floated inside the canister.

When the two scientists entered the room, the tall creature set the canister on the ground and then took a notebook out of his coat pocket.
He scribbled something onto the first page, then pointed the pencil at the small lizard girl, as if it was a pointer.

"Now! Quick! I need you to go over to the control module and set the switches on "DTLV", understand?"

"B-But Doctor Ga-"

"Go! This might be a breakthrough!"

Her heart was racing of the adrenaline pumping through her veins. Her little yellow feet carried her over to the control module. With shaking hands she followed the instructions of her colleague. On the control module are some buttons, a rectangular metal box and a cylinder with 4 different colored switches. Each switch showed a different letter. The small reptile hands of hers handled the switches and set each one to a different letter.

"R-Ready, sir!", she called. This signalized her colleague to slowly open the container he had set on the ground.

"Now I want you to press the red button on the left", he ordered, while fiddling with the lid of the cylinder.

The little lizard girl hesitated one second before lowering her hand onto the button and pressing it.
A machine, that looked like a bird's skull with a split down the middle, started to power up. The machine has many cables and hosepipes sticking out of the side of it's head, that lead somewhere. The two halves of the machine opened and a round cavern got visible.

Dr. G. gently let his hand slide into the glass cylinder and took the glowing soul into his hand. He then placed it into the empty space inside the machine and the covers closed themselves again.

His colleague then turned down a handle. A red glow, that got brighter each second, appeared inside the large holes and inside the gap between the "faceplates" of the bird skull. The machine started humming silently, letting the two scientists know it's working. Dr. A. had to shield her eyes because of the bright light.

Suddenly the humming stopped and the light slowly disappeared.

Dr. A. set a test glass inside the metal box on the control module. She closed the lid and it started humming a bit as well. After just a few seconds the humming faded and Dr. A. opened the lid of the box.

The test glass now carried a glowing liquid that shifted colors from deep blue to a bright red and back. She quickly put a cork in the opening so it wouldn't spill.

Dr. G. has already placed the soul back into it's container. The soul wasn't glowing as bright as before anymore. The reason to that was obviously the machine it was just in.

The machine is a DETERMINATION-extractor. Each soul, that would be placed inside it, would lose some of it's DETERMINATION, but not all of it so it wouldn't turn to dust. Only human souls posses DETERMINATION. That's why they don't disappear after their respective owner dies. Monster souls on the other hand turn to dust when the monster dies, because they don't have DETERMINATION.

"H-Here. The DETERMINATION, D-Doctor Gaster." The little lizard monster handed the test glass to the tall skeleton.
The blue-to-red glow lit up his face. Now she could clearly see two dark gashes that are on his skull, one above his right eye and one beneath his left eye, that connected to the corner of his mouth.

"Good Job, Doctor Alphys." He eyed the test glass with calm eyes. "This certainly IS a breakthrough. Tomorrow we will discuss our further plans."

He then turned around and calmly left towards the elevator.